Select to view content in your preferred language

Registering a folder

04-22-2014 08:09 AM
ErikBlake
Frequent Contributor
So I have been trying to register a folder in server manager and I follow the instructions and it says that I was successful in registering the folder and when I go to validate it it says it is fine as well. However when I go to publish a service with data in that folder it tells me that data is not registered with server and will be copied to server. So why does it tell me in manager that my folder was registered successfully but then when I publish it tells me it is not registered with the server. I believe that I have made all folders accessible to the server. I am just not sharing the folders right?

I have had success in registering my SDE GDB. and that works fine. it is just the registering of folders that i am having this issue. Any help would be great. Thanks
Erik
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Are you registering the folder with a mapped drive or a unc path?  If you register a folder in a specific manner as mentioned above, you need to use that same type of connection in the mxd for your mapservice otherwise it will not be recognized as registered with the server (e.g. I register \\gis_server\data with AGS but I connect to the data source with a mapped drive H:\ (shared as \\gis_server\data).
0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Frequent Contributor
Michael
This is how I have it registered:

Publisher folder path:
\\myserver\folder name

then I left "Publisher Folder path" blank

then checked "same as publisher folder path"
0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Frequent Contributor
Here's another question. If on my server the folder I am trying to register is "E" but I am mapped to the same folder using "V" on my computer do I register "E" or "V" in Server manager.

for example
on my server the file path looks like this:
E:\GIS

but I am mapped on my computer like this:
V:\
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
They need to be identical, as I stated earlier, or AGS will not recognize the datasource as registered.

You wrote:
"Publisher folder path:
\\myserver\folder name

then I left "Publisher Folder path" blank

then checked "same as publisher folder path"

I think you meant you left Publisher Folder Hostname blank, which should be fine as long as the drive mapping does not change.
0 Kudos
CarmaGerber
Deactivated User
Hello

I have a similar issue.

I have registered the following folder:
I:\.....Projects

The connection in ArcMap is the same.

The data (TIFF and Image Mosaic) I am working with is in a number of sub folders.

Still getting the warning that data will be copied to the server.

What have I done wrong?

Cheers
Carma Gerber
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
I just realized that my response is SDE-specific, and you're referring to network drives.  Sorry about that--I'll leave this in case googling leads someone here w/the same issue and an SDE data source.

I can't find any documentation online, but this was Esri-confirmed when we reported it:

NIM097037 [to paraphrase] indicates that: ArcGIS Server understands connection files differently depending on how they were created.  The two methods: double-clicking on Add Database Connection, and the GP Tool called Create Database Connection, are perceived differently, despite containing the same credentials.

This means that you may have added data to an mxd using the connection listed in your DB Connections, but registered an .sde connection file which lives somewhere else.  You will receive the "not registered with the server... copy data to the server" warning in this scenario.

The solution we used was to either A) register both connections w/AGServer or B) only use our centralized shared connection files for map service mxds.
0 Kudos