Select to view content in your preferred language

Register with ArcGIS Server and orange question mark

Jump to solution
07-11-2013 10:45 AM
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
I have 2 File Geodatabases. One is a One-Way Replica from our SDE Geodatabase, the other is a stand-alone File Geodatabase.

I want to know if there is a way for when I update the MXD associated with the Map Service that it will automatically update the Map Service. I want to avoid having to use Share Service As - in ArcMap after I update an MXD. This process can take a long time. It is faster if I can just skip this step.

I was told my ESRI that this can be done if you register the File Geodatabases with ArcGIS Server. I did this. I stopped our Service. I opened the MXD, did some updates, saved the MXD, then restarted our Service. But, I did not see the changes in the Map Viewer. I cleared the Internet Explorer Cache still same results. We are using Flex 3.0.

I went into ArcCatalog and right clicked our Server Admin link - Server Properties - Data Store. I saw the 2 Registered Folder (File Geodatabases). I checked Validate All, and a green check mark appears next to each one.

I then went into ArcGIS Server Manager - Site - Data Stores and under Registered Folders - Status column I noticed orange question marks next to each one. I cannot figure out what these question marks mean. Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
rlwatson;312985 wrote:
Updating a map document (MXD) is not going to automatically update map services created from that document.  That said, if you publish a map service using a shared data source which is referenced (not copied) then updates to the data are seen by all:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//015400000505000000

I think I just figured it out. I believe what I am trying to do, and what we are discussing is creating a Geodata Service from a File Geodatabase? This involves registering my File Geodatabase with ArcGIS Server. I was able to do this no problem.

However, let me be even more specific on exactly what I would like to do:

Here is how I update our Map Viewers currently -

1) Open the MXD associated with a Map Service which has the associated File Geodatabase Feature Classes to be edited.

2) Make any changes (edits).

3) Save the edits to the Geodatabase and save the MXD.

4) Go to Share Service As - Overwrite Existing Service

5) The changes are now seen in the Map Viewer.

Here is what I want to be able to do:

1) Open the MXD associated with a Map Service which has the associated File Geodatabase Feature Classes to be edited.

This does not seem possible. In other words, when updating a Map Service, there is no way to skip the step of "Share Service As - Overwrite Existing Service". My reason for wanting to skip this step is that it can take me hours to do this step, with ArcGIS Desktop crashing many times over before I am successful. ESRI says this has something to do with the last April Microsoft Windows updates. I see how you can uninstall the updates on the ESRI site, but if I did that our IT Dept would have my head on a platter. It is best to leave it be.

I shall await the release of 10.2.

Thank you all for you assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
I have added screenshots of what I see.
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
What happens if you click Validate All in Manager?  Do the question marks change to green checks?  Do you get an error message?
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
What happens if you click Validate All in Manager?  Do the question marks change to green checks?  Do you get an error message?

I clicked Validate All, the green check marks appeared (see image attached). But, when I log out of ArcGIS Server Manager and log back in the orange question marks reappear and no green check marks until I click Validate All...again.

Also, any answer for the other part of my original question:

I want to know if there is a way for when I update the MXD associated with the Map Service that it will automatically update the Map Service? I want to avoid having to use Share Service As - in ArcMap after I update an MXD. This process can take a long time. It is faster if I can just skip this step.

I was told my ESRI that this can be done if you register the File Geodatabases with ArcGIS Server. I did this. I stopped our Service. I opened the MXD, did some updates, saved the MXD, then restarted our Service. But, I did not see the changes in the Map Viewer. I cleared the Internet Explorer Cache still same results. We are using Flex 3.0.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Deactivated User

I want to know if there is a way for when I update the MXD associated with the Map Service that it will automatically update the Map Service? I want to avoid having to use Share Service As - in ArcMap after I update an MXD. This process can take a long time. It is faster if I can just skip this step.

Updating a map document (MXD) is not going to automatically update map services created from that document.  That said, if you publish a map service using a shared data source which is referenced (not copied) then updates to the data are seen by all:

You should be able to see this by using the Microsoft Process Explorer tool for your file geodatabases.  Simply run it and then look at which processes are accessing the known file(s).  In your case it should be one or more ArcSOC processes (i.e. ArcGIS Server) as well as ArcMap which you used to update the data.  If these are pointing to different files then I believe it means that your data was copied (not referenced).
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
rlwatson;312985 wrote:

I think I just figured it out. I believe what I am trying to do, and what we are discussing is creating a Geodata Service from a File Geodatabase? This involves registering my File Geodatabase with ArcGIS Server. I was able to do this no problem.

However, let me be even more specific on exactly what I would like to do:

Here is how I update our Map Viewers currently -

4) Go to Share Service As - Overwrite Existing Service

Here is what I want to be able to do:

This does not seem possible. In other words, when updating a Map Service, there is no way to skip the step of "Share Service As - Overwrite Existing Service". My reason for wanting to skip this step is that it can take me hours to do this step, with ArcGIS Desktop crashing many times over before I am successful. ESRI says this has something to do with the last April Microsoft Windows updates. I see how you can uninstall the updates on the ESRI site, but if I did that our IT Dept would have my head on a platter. It is best to leave it be.

I shall await the release of 10.2.

Thank you all for you assistance.
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Deactivated User
Your mapservice that you are serving out through ArcGIS Server is just providing a pathway for a user to see data. This part has nothing to do with any MXDs, in this case. Your mapservice needs to be referencing a registered data source.

You made an update to your data in the registered data source through ArcMap, and as long as you Save Edits, the MXD does not come into play at all. The MXD is irrelevant here, all that matters if the source data getting updated.

The map service does not need to be "updated" in any way. It is only reading the data which you just edited, which will show up just fine in your web viewer.
0 Kudos