Recurring errors in Server logs after federating with Portal (Method failed.HRESULT=0x80004005 : Unspecified error .)

06-02-2021 12:53 PM
New Contributor III

I am seeing this sequence of errors in my organization's Server logs (the errors are shown for the same request ID in order of oldest to newest): 

FINEJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PM

Binary request received. Request size is 213 bytes.


FINEJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMGetServerInfo has started.10008MapServer.GetServerInfo
DEBUGJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMBegin GetServerInfo10008GetServerInfo
SEVEREJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMFailed to find the map.10836MapServerX::GetServerInfoInternal
DEBUGJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMEnd GetServerInfo10009GetServerInfo
FINEJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMGetServerInfo has completed.10009MapServer.GetServerInfo
SEVEREJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMMethod failed.HRESULT = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error .100005MapServer.GetServerInfo
DEBUGJun 2, 2021, 3:16:45 PMERROR INFO = Error processing server request100000MapServer.GetServerInfo


These errors occur multiple (seriously, at least twenty or thirty) times a day for four services. One service was published from ArcMap 10.6.1 and the other services were published from ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 (I also tried publishing from 2.8, but no dice). 

Our Server version is ArcGIS Server 10.7.1, and it is the hosting server for our Portal site (Portal for ArcGIS 10.7.1). 

I feel like I've wrung all the information I can out of Google, so I thought I'd ask if anyone on here has experienced something similar. 



Mary Grace


** Edited to add that this one has also been showing up, but less frequently. I can't find anything called "\" ANYWHERE. 

WARNINGJun 2, 2021, 3:54:11 PMJob Layers not found in Job Registry or the registry record is unavailable.5006 
WARNINGJun 2, 2021, 3:54:11 PMCan not open file \ The system cannot find the file specified. Probable cause: The file is inaccessible to Server.10816MapServerX::CreateGPJobService
SEVEREJun 2, 2021, 3:54:11 PMFailed to find the map.10836MapServerX::GetServerInfoInternal
SEVEREJun 2, 2021, 3:54:11 PMMethod failed.HRESULT = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error .100005MapServer.GetServerInfo


0 Kudos
2 Replies
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you tell me any details about these services? Do they have anything in common? What type of services are they? You may want to log a support ticket if you have maintenance for this, from my research in our knowledge base there are many reasons why these issues would get called. At your version of ArcGIS Enterprise, it may even be a red herring. 

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

So yes we were seeing these errors.  I found that the MapServer errors are SOAP runtime when users were bringing in my hosted feature layers into ArcMap, and then trying to override a graphics setting, like the visibility range.  So i.e. graphics errors mostly. 

I also had a user adding hosted feature layers to a webmap for consumption in a dashboard map control, and then the user was 'hiding' the map by squeezing the control in the dashboard so the map was not visible.  That was throwing a MapServerX error, again because as the map control shrank to infinity, the layers could not draw. that in turn affected the graphs and gauges that were trying to access the layers from the map, while the layers were not visible.

So I ignore the MapServer errors from ArcMap, and got with my editor and had him remove the map from his dashboard and change his source settings for gauge and chart elements to the hosted layer sources.