Select to view content in your preferred language

"Too Many Invalid Logins" Error on Portal for ArcGIS

2 weeks ago
tte
by
New Contributor

Hey GIS folks,

I'm a GIS administrator, and I'm facing an issue with Portal for ArcGIS. Every time I try to log in, I get this error: "Too many invalid logins. Please try again in approximately 15 minutes."

Here's what I know:

• A colleague has the credentials but doesn't log in.
  • The portal logs show that the portal admin user tries to log in about every 30 seconds.

I suspect this might be due to a service or a custom app using the portal admin credentials. This issue started after changing the portal admin password.

My questions:

1. How can I identify the source of the repeated login attempts?
2. Can the Portal for ArcGIS username changed or not?

environments:

Enterprise 11.2 (multiple machines)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

1. Logging the IP address is not something Esri does. I have no idea why. It's lame. I don't think the auth requests ever make it to the IIS server log either, I have logging set to verbose and they are not in there.

2. You only need the portal admin account for a few administrative activities, like initial installation and maybe upgrades. You should assign admin privileges to a normal account (like, your own!). Once you have done that you can revoke admin privileges from the admin account until the next time you need it. You can also disable login for the admin account.  They probably baked the actual account name into the configuration someplace so changing now is probably a bad idea. (I think you'd have to delete the account, I don't see a way to change the name. And it might happily delete the account when asked without telling you you would break things.)

Disabling logins on the admin account means no one will ever be able to guess the password. You just have to remember to re-enable it before you get 8 hours into an upgrade and find out it's unavailable.

0 Kudos
abdelsalmelmoursi
New Contributor

hello,

if you are shared any sevices with portal admin credentials with other teams like dev team.

- check your webadaptor logs it will show you the services wich needs tokens and will show you which application using and you can ask them to change the password for the new one.

0 Kudos