"Create Tile Package..." button greyed out

03-14-2016 07:11 PM
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to create a Tile Package from an existing tile cache.

When I right click on the 'Layers' dataset in ArcCatalog, the "Create Tile Package" button is greyed out.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be the case?

I'm sure this used to work when we had 10.2. This is the first time I've tried using this tool since upgrading to 10.3 and I can't work out why it is no longer available.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you make your description and follow the instructions here?

How to create a tile package—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  It sounds like you have a precondition missing otherwise the tool would be enabled, but your image has what's underneath hidden

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I know with ArcGIS Server you could no longer "cache a cache" in 10.3, so you may be hitting the same limitation.  Is there a reason you need to create tiles from the tile cache?  Can you use the cache as is?

The exception in 10.3 (Server, anyway) was reading the cache into a mosaic dataset, and then with the Image Server extension you could recached the mosaic dataset. I've been testing some of that myself, but not sure if creating tile from desktop has the same options.

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to convert an existing map cache into a tile package to use in Collector offline.

The reason I want to convert the cache instead of creating a new tile package is that the existing cache only has certain areas cached to low levels (due to availability of high resolution aerials there). This keeps the total size of the cache down but allows certain areas to be zoomed in to low levels.

If I make a new tile package, it will cache everything to low level and the file size will be far too big.

0 Kudos