Publishing services fail with "ERROR 000735: Server: Value is required"

2597
5
Jump to solution
05-09-2018 01:43 PM
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Hi 

I'm having this issue quite a bit now. I can't publish services from ArcMap.  The failure appears to be the publishing task is not fully populated.  For a while it seemed intermittent, so I've ignored it, but now it's pretty constant. 

1. I can access and administer the server via catalog and web manager -- the server seems fine in that regards. I can access services and the rest directory etc... 

2. If I save the draft and publish via the web manager, all good.  So again server seems fine and service definition is ok once created.

3. Server logs don't show anything so it doesn't appear to even be getting as far as exchanging any communication with the server.

4. I stooped/started the publishing tools on the server.  Same result.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewValenski__IT_
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Fred!

Have you already deployed the ArcGIS for Server Publishing Patch?

Also, does your site support both http and https? If so, can you delete your connection string in the catalog window and create two new connections, one using http and the other using https and try to publish using those new connections?

If you're using a web adaptor, can you also try to create new connection strings with and without the web adaptor over http and https? 

So if your site supports http and https and has a web adaptor, the four new connection strings that would be good to create and then test are:

http://servername.domain:6080/arcgis

https://servername.domain:6443/arcgis

http://webadaptor.domain/arcgis

https://webadaptor.domain/arcgis 

Let me know if all of those fail / some work!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AndrewValenski__IT_
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Fred!

Have you already deployed the ArcGIS for Server Publishing Patch?

Also, does your site support both http and https? If so, can you delete your connection string in the catalog window and create two new connections, one using http and the other using https and try to publish using those new connections?

If you're using a web adaptor, can you also try to create new connection strings with and without the web adaptor over http and https? 

So if your site supports http and https and has a web adaptor, the four new connection strings that would be good to create and then test are:

http://servername.domain:6080/arcgis

https://servername.domain:6443/arcgis

http://webadaptor.domain/arcgis

https://webadaptor.domain/arcgis 

Let me know if all of those fail / some work!

BK2
by
New Contributor

I ran into this cryptic and misleading error also and found that I was able to successfully publish the service when I did NOT go through the webadaptor (e.g. when I used the https://servername.domain:6443/arcgis url).

0 Kudos
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply... 

It's definitely an HTTP connection but HTTPS is also enabled.  

Of course it's working smoothly now.  I'll try those things next time I run into it the issue. 

It was likely the publishing patch.  We upgraded everything to 10.6 (desktop and server).  I can't remember if we did the upgrade before or after I posted the question.  For now I'll chalk it up to "old bug/fixed in current release" until I comes back up. 

Have a good day

Fred

0 Kudos
AndrewValenski__IT_
Occasional Contributor III

Awesome -- glad the publishing path seemed to work it out for you! If you don't mind, could you mark the answer as correct so we can knock this off the 'open questions' in geonet?  

0 Kudos
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Just to keep notes on this... ran into again:

Totally different setup/servers this time:

ArcGIS 10.6 (ArcMap and ArcGIS Enterprise: Server and Portal)

Single machine setup (Server and Portal) / ArcMap on a different workstation

Server federated with portal 

HTTPS connection only, using the fully qualified machine name :6443

First time around it fails the same way - GP tool doesn't have the "server" parameter.

Then it won't even get that far and messages about Publishing Tools not available even though they are from the REST and Manager pages and Catalog window.

Restarting the publishing tools and restarting ArcMap don't help

Fixes itself with full shutdown of ArcGIS Server,

ugh.

0 Kudos