Publishing Puzzle - Layer's data source is not registered with the server

02-26-2014 01:43 PM
JordanBaumgardner
Occasional Contributor III
I'm am completely stuck trying to publish an mxd created from an Oracle data store that my ArcGIS Server has complete access to.

What am I missing here. These two scenario's seem mutually exclusive to me.

Steps

• Double click MXD

• Cancel on DB login

• Verify data connections are broken

• Select a feature | right click | Data | Repair data source.

• Select myconnection@gisprod.sde.[layer selected]

• Verify all other feature's data connections are repaired.

• File | Share as | Service | Analyze

• All Layers show "Layer's data source is not registered with the server and data will be copied"

• Right click on one layer

• Register Data Source with Server

• Name it GISPRODTEST | OK => "The database is already registered as ArcGIS Server's Managed Database"

• Show Data store registration page

• Select Validate all => GISPROD is validated (the only entry)

• Select GISPROD | OK | ReAnalyze => same warnings - Data will be copied

• Show data store registration page

• Register new database

• Name it GISPRODTEST | Import | Select myconnection@gisprod.sde => Database already registered.

I can't remove GISPROD as the Live services are using it.

Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Hi Jordan,

When you register a database as the server�??s managed database, the data is always copied to this database if you publish a service with feature access enabled. If you use data from this registered database in a map and publish it, it will still be copied to the server. If you want the service to reference the data, you would need to register the database as shared. You cannot register the same database as the server�??s managed database and shared. It has to be one or the other. It is recommended that you have a dedicated database to act as the server�??s managed database versus reusing data from this same database to author maps for publishing.

Joanne
0 Kudos
JordanBaumgardner1
New Contributor
Thank you Joanne, that was indeed the issue.

I simply removed the existing connection, and was able to create the connection from ArcMap with no issues.
0 Kudos
MatthewGerbrandt
New Contributor II
I'm having this same problem with SQL/SDE. Is there an article that will give me a little more information as to what Joanne is referring to? I don't quite follow the explanation there.

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
Here is a Blog post that talks about the managed enterprise geodatabase with ArcGIS for Server.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2014/03/12/should-i-register-my-enterprise-geodatabase-with...

There are a few links to more information at the bottom of the blog post.

-George
--- George T.
0 Kudos
MatthewGerbrandt
New Contributor II
Thanks, George. Based on your link, it looks like I do not want to register my database as managed but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in order to get where I need to go.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have an ArcSDE/SQL database. It's a registered data source in ArcGIS Server Manager. This database contains a featureclass which will be the only data layer in a web service.

I want to be able to update the featureclass in the SDE database and have the updates appear in the web service without republishing the web service.

Is this possible? If so, how would I do it?

When I try to publish the MXD, I get a warning about how the data will be published to the server because it's not a registered data source (even though it is). I'm confused as to which path to take.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
When you try to publish the MXD as a map service, are you connected to the same database, transaction version (Default, Edit1, Edit2, etc...) and user that is register with ArcGIS Server?

Example: Connected to the Mapping geodatabase, looking at the Default version and logged in as the GIS user.

If the connection properties are different between the registered database on server and the map source, there might be a conflict and it wants you to register the one that it does not have.

This documentation may help also: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//015400000504000000 Look at the Registering a Database section.

Hopefully this will help.

-George
--- George T.
0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jordan,

Does the publishing analyzer indicate which layer is being copied up? I sometimes see this type of issue with a corrupted MXD, like it's holding onto a layer that isn't actually in the map document. When I see that, I open the original .MXD and then open a new ArcMap session, and drag the layers from the original MXD into a new map document. Then I try to publish the new map document. That will eliminate the chance that there's a stray layer.
0 Kudos