Publishing a service with a join table (pending fields)

06-30-2015 10:15 AM
Mehretab
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to publish a service with a feature layer joined to a table. I wanted it to use a symbology from the joint table, the joined table is updated every 2 minutes hence I would like the symbology to change accordingly (dynamically). The table is rooted in SQL server while the feature layer is in another folder and is copied to the server while publishing. the only worning during publishing process is

"10014: Layer's draw time may be affected by slow join access times".

all the fields (even the joined fields) are avialable in ArcGIS REST Services Directory. I published them also  as a dynamic layer and this also won't work. is there any tecnical requirement missed here on the process. is show only the zoom widget, the title and the esri log on the bottom with a black map

I apprciate for your response

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is the symbology defined by a field in the joined table?  If so, you might have issues with that symbology working in the mapservice.  This is what occurred in a similar setup and I had to permanently join the table to the feature class in order for the symbology to work correctly in the mapservice.

0 Kudos
Mehretab

Thanks a lot. Yes the symbology is defined from the joined table and the

only purpose of that table is just to show the continuous Change and

update reflected on the map using the symbology. permanenly joining the

table will not show the update which is every 2 minutes and even less in

some cases. Perhaps it works with simple table join with no update and I am

suspecting the time required to render is Long and before showing one sene

another update is coming.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Mehretab,

How many features/records are there? The time taken by the updation of table/map/services/web application might take a long time if the number of records is high. So the update on the web application might seem inconsistent. You might like to increase the refresh time of the services or update interval and check the behaviour.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is your data being sourced from a RDBMS such as SQL Server or Oracle?  I ask because my organization also tried to host a mapservice where the data was being updated every 5 minutes, but the file gdb we were using would drop in performance after a few hours.  We tested the same setup in a RDBMS and the performance was excellent, but other factors prevented us from proceeding with that architecture.

0 Kudos
Mehretab

That might be the issue. the gdb is in a local Folder Registered in the

Server. But the join table is in SQL Server ( a RDBMS). Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you place all the data in the SQL Server database and see if that addresses your issues?  This would have worked at my organization, but database operation prevented us from putting this architecture into our production environment.

0 Kudos
yonatanrubinstein
New Contributor III

I have a layer in a sde geodatabase and a table in RDBMS (sql server). I do a join between them and show a label based on fields in the RDBMS table (in arcgis 10.2). The service is fine and shows the label well, but when trying to show the service on my application (based on runtime 10.2.5 for .net) it doesn't show a thing (I tried using a simple label or a label based on VBScript.Neither works)...

The only way it works is by exporting the joined layer as a new one and showing the label out of it. It is a wrong step methodically, I know, but I didn't find any other way. It seems 10.2.5 is poor in addressing joins,symbology and label issues.

Did you find a solution ?

0 Kudos
DanieleSeveriano
New Contributor II

If you can, put everything in SQL. A File Geodatabase will get slower. Also, if the table has too many records and too many fields it will take longer to render all the symbology. Depending on the table amount of records and internet speed, two minutes is not enough time to render all the symbology on your website.

0 Kudos