published web service not displaying correctly

Jump to solution
04-06-2021 11:56 AM
MaraKaminowitz
Occasional Contributor

I have been having a problem with displaying web services over the last few months.  Currently, we have ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 and ArcGIS Server 10.4.  An upgrade to 10.8 is planned but hasn't happened yet.  Our web services are published through ArcGIS Server from a file geodatabase.

When I publish new web services, or add new layers to an existing mxd and overwrite the web service, the layers do not display correctly.   The service publishes without an error.  In some cases, only a few features display when I view the layer zoomed out.  In some cases, I can see the whole layer when I zoom out but most of the features disappear when I zoom in.

The feature limit in the service settings is set high so that isn't it. Creating a new geodatabase, mxd, and fixing geometry have not made a difference.  I have also redid the extents and checked the projections.  The display issue can be seen in both the REST javascript preview as well as when pulling the service into AGOL.

Previously I went 2 rounds with ESRI tech support and they concluded that it was a corrupt feature layer.  After downloading the data from an alternate source I was able to re-publish and successfully view the service.  But now I am facing the same problem in the same technical situation from a different data source.  

It's worth nothing that when I add new layers to an existing mxd and overwrite the web service, only the NEW layers have the issue. The old layers are always fine.  This makes me wonder if there is some sort of version conflict.

Here is a public test example:

https://gis.baltometro.org/arcgis/rest/services/CMP/CMP_TEST/MapServer

Image of layers (REST javascript preview) zoomed out:

MaraKaminowitz_0-1617735108482.png

Same service (REST javascript preview) zoomed in 1X:

MaraKaminowitz_1-1617735174679.png

Same service (REST javascript preview) zoomed in 2X:

MaraKaminowitz_2-1617735197217.png

Any ideas on what might be the problem would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@MaraKaminowitz 

I see your map service is that one that is not drawing those features on the server side. Even when I add a layer as a feature layer (to draw features on client side), I see the same issue - that means the issue affecting mapservice's export and query operations.

Which makes me think whether there were some issues with the FeatureClass' spatial index. Would you mind try rebuilding the FeatureClass' spatial index. Also try running Check Geometry and Repair Geometry gp tools.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are these FGDBs sat on your same server?  What about deleting the old service in arcgis server then publishing again?

Do you have any caching enabled? if so, I wouldn't for the moment.  Also when viewing in AGOL can you use the developer tab (f12 usually) -> Network, to look at the GET requests being sent to your ArcGIS Server?  That may give you some good leads as to what's going on.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@MaraKaminowitz 

I see your map service is that one that is not drawing those features on the server side. Even when I add a layer as a feature layer (to draw features on client side), I see the same issue - that means the issue affecting mapservice's export and query operations.

Which makes me think whether there were some issues with the FeatureClass' spatial index. Would you mind try rebuilding the FeatureClass' spatial index. Also try running Check Geometry and Repair Geometry gp tools.

MaraKaminowitz
Occasional Contributor

I had previously ran repair geometry and did it again and it did not indicate an issue. However I just rebuilt the spatial indexes and I think that fixed it.  The layers are all displaying correctly on my end.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

cool. I'm glad fixing spatial index fixes your issue. thanks for letting us know

MaraKaminowitz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @TanuHoque and @DavidPike for all your help!

0 Kudos