Problem starting PublishingTools Service

Jump to solution
01-11-2018 01:18 AM
Syed_AzamGhouri
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS server 10.2.2. The following message appeared when starting PublishingTools service and it is persistent. Is there a fix for this. Please help. Thanks

Service failed to start

System.PublishingTools.GPServer: 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Service containing process crashed for 'System/PublishingTools.GPServer'.Please see if an error report was generated in 'C:\arcgisserver\logs\SWPRUPFS.MMAA.GOV.QA\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.

40 Replies
Syed_AzamGhouri
New Contributor III

I did that also and waiting for their reply.  just checking if I can get a quick fix. Thank you friend.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Could this be part of the problem? Meltdown and Spectre Processor Vulnerabilities | ArcGIS Blog 

Carmel

ZacharyStauber1
New Contributor III

I have just started getting this, too, on both my test and production servers.  And I have been applying all Microsoft patches immediately due to the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities.  I'm starting to think they're connected as well.  The "System/PublishingTools.GPServer" won't start, and nothing new will publish.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're working with Windows Server 2008r2 or Windows 7, then this issue is likely related conflicts with patches that Microsoft has released regarding the Meltdown and Spectre bugs. As Carmel Connolly mentioned above, we've been discussing this issue in this blog:

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2018/01/08/meltdown-and-spectre-processor-vulnerabilities

Esri support services is tracking this as [#BUG-000110662 Geoprocessing service instances crash after installing windows patches on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7. ]

We are diligently testing and investigating this issue.

Syed_AzamGhouri
New Contributor III

How far your investigation has come? Can you please update on what could possibly be done to get over this issue. Due to this we are having issues with our web printing geo-processing service as well. Please. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

We have identified the issue and are methodically testing patches.

Syed_AzamGhouri
New Contributor III

I am checking this daily for update on this. I need a fix for this asap. Thanks

0 Kudos
ZacharyStauber1
New Contributor III

It sounds like Mr. Ghouri would be willing to beta test your patch(es).

Syed_AzamGhouri
New Contributor III

We could resolve this issue by reversing the changes made to the OS as mentioned on this blog:

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2018/01/08/meltdown-and-spectre-processor-vulnerabilities

This is temporary. We don't know if these patches are important updates to the system which mandate their installation again. In that case a permanent solution will be needed. Thanks 

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri has released patches for ArcGIS 10.5.1, 10.4.1, and 10.3.1.

https://support.esri.com/en/download/7576