prevent layer renumbering when republishing services

Jump to solution
01-28-2016 04:44 AM
LarisaKruger
New Contributor III

We have several services that are being used by other entities and they have scripted some things that query by the layer number.  I needed to add a new data layer to one of those services and when I republished it renumbered all of the data layers (which obviously broke their query).  Is there any way to lock the layer numbering that's done when you publish a service?  I know I could just publish a separate service for any new  data layers I needed to add but I would prefer not to if I don't have to.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Larisa,

If you are working on ArcGIS 10.3 and later, you could set up the map document to preserve layer and table IDs.

Map authoring considerations—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Larisa,

If you are working on ArcGIS 10.3 and later, you could set up the map document to preserve layer and table IDs.

Map authoring considerations—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Think Location
LarisaKruger
New Contributor III

Awesome! We are in the process of migrating to 10.3.1 right now. Just one more reason to do so. Thanks!

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Larisa:

Hopefully you do not use annotation in your mapservice as there is a bug with annotation in v10.3.1 that has supposedly been fixed in v10.4.  Just an FYI.

LarisaKruger
New Contributor III

Thankfully, no, just labeling.  But thanks for the heads up.  That is good to know and I will keep it in mind.

0 Kudos