Select to view content in your preferred language

Possible conflicts running arcgis server (image server) on same machine also hosting SQL enterprise databases?

05-02-2023 07:14 AM
imansbburg
New Contributor III

I recently launched a multi-machine Enterprise Portal deployment (10.9.1), and have a couple other machines not yet part of the federation but theoretically available to use as a separate image server.

Both other 'spare' machines are running SQL Server, one of which contains the instance housing an enterprise geodatabase that is a registered data store for our hosting server. This machine was previously running a standalone arcgis server that I have turned off but not yet uninstalled. The other has some SQL databases for other unrelated purposes. 

My main question is if there is any reason to not run arcgis image server on the same machine also housing SQL databases or ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1?  Would the different programs conflict at all with each other? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

The programs could not "conflict" but they would compete for the available resources on the machine. Depending on the settings in SQL Server it could consume all resources available.

If they need the same resources this is where the issue could be. If that happens we recommend splitting out the Server / SQL Server.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

I just had this conversation and it is NOT recommended.  ESRI didn't recommend it and my database admin did not recommend it.  I was told that SQL is a jealous resource hog and that it will consume what you give it.  I decided not to go that route with my multi-machine deployment.  

George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

You are correct that it is not recommended, but sometimes is needed (based on resources available for deployment).

You are also 100% correct that SQL Server is a resource hog 😀

--- George T.
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

I fully agree with that - in my case my Server Admin wanted to dump several hundred GBs of Pro work files onto one of my federated servers without checking first and I had to gather information on why they couldn't go on each server.  

0 Kudos
imansbburg
New Contributor III

I don't currently have a lot of other options....however one of the machines' SQL databases are there for applications that are getting phased out this year. I take it I would be better off using that one? As opposed to the one running our enterprise database that participates in the Portal. Given that that one was actually running our old standalone server at the same time proves it was still able to run both programs concurrently. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

It would depend, but usually recommend them separate if possible.

--- George T.
0 Kudos