Oracle OLEDB connection is empty in arcCatalog

10-31-2013 06:46 AM
DaveTaylor
New Contributor
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question.

I created an Oracle OLEDB connection in ArcCatalog and it connected successfully.

The problem is when I double click to open the connection it is empty. Could it be that I am timing out as this is a production database and it will kick you out after x period of time.

I also have other OLEDB connections that seem to take FOREVER to open in ArcCatalog on the server. On my local machine they open quickly but on the server they take forever...could i have some setting missing on the server?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
It might be due to network issues. The fix is very much specific to network configuration. Various firewalls should be configured differently.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
A couple of questions for you...

When you say that you can connect slowly from the server (as opposed to quickly from your PC), are you saying that ArcCatalog is installed on the database server?  In other words, the connection is very slow when using ArcCatalog on the same server as the database to which you are trying to connect?  From your PC, connecting in the same fashion to the same database is fast?  Just confirming what I think you're saying. 

Also, I noticed that you didn't mention any errors... so you are not receiving any, correct?  Once the connection is finally made in ArcCatalog from both your PC and from the server, no tables ever appear in the table of contents?  Are you certain that the user account contained within the OLEDB connection file has SELECT permissions to view the data or is assigned to a role that has those permissions?  It sounds like the account does have CONNECT and/or RESOURCE, but verify this too please.  One last item to check... are any of the roles that are assigned to the user account set to be Default roles or are all of them set to not be Default?
0 Kudos