ORA-12637 packet receive failed

Jump to solution
04-30-2018 03:19 AM
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Oracle DB: 12.1.0.2

ArcSDE : 10.4.1

We recently created a new database on new server which has firewall configured and only port opened is 1521 to connect to Oracle Database from source server.

I am able to connect to database from SQL prompt from source server but while from ArcMAP 10.4.1 database connection, I am facing the error "ORA-12637 packet receive failed".

For other DB on different servers, I am able to connect through ArcMAP from source server. 

For ArcMAP or ArcCatalog do we need some other ports to be opened for database connection? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Hello George, finally it has been resolved. There was an issue with configured Firewall, they reconfigured it and now ArcGIS and other applications are working fine. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

- How are you connecting to the Oracle DB: TNS or EzConnect?

It looks like there is a connection issue between the ArcGIS Client and the DBMS. No sure if it is related to ArcGIS yet.

***Adding Geodatabase‌ for more visibility.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Hello George, thanks for looking into this matter.

I am connecting using EzConnect. I tried changing SQLNET Authentication parameter at client and at server which is one of source for the error but it didn't help.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

If you using EzConnect there is no reason to change the SQLNET file. Does the SQLNET file look something like this?

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

This would be under the 32-bit full client.

Have you reached out to the DBA and see if there are any error messages on the DBMS side at the time that you are connection.

--- George T.
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Hello George, from other client application also facing similar error, It has some firewall or network connectivity issue and not related to ArcGIS. I will inform concerned team to resolve the issue. Thank you!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Hitesh Jilka thanks for the follow up. If other non-ArcGIS applications are having the same issues, then that confirms a possible cause. Please follow up when you have a final answer from the other teams as this may help another user down the road.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Hello George, finally it has been resolved. There was an issue with configured Firewall, they reconfigured it and now ArcGIS and other applications are working fine. 

0 Kudos