Select to view content in your preferred language

New Map Service Cache Size

03-24-2017 07:53 AM
DaveTenney
Frequent Contributor

All,

i was just curious if how the way things are cached in 10.3.1/10.4.1 vs 10.2.2 will cause the cache to be larger in size?

we have a map service that we wanted to cache, nothing has changed other than the version, we upgraded from 10.2.2 to 10.4.1

10.2.2 cache size 96gb

10.4.4 cache size 125gb

we have havent changed a single thing, not one. we havent changed anything in regards to the map itself and its data, nor have we changed anything in the settings of the service when we publish.

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dave:

Were you stopping mapservices in ArcCatalog and then seeing in AGS Manager that the mapservices were still running?

If that is not what you were seeing, can you explain in more detail so I can see if my 10.3.1 AGS environment is encountering the same issues as you with AGS Manager?

0 Kudos
DaveTenney
Frequent Contributor

1) we would stop services via python script

a) ArcSOCs would drop from task manager but remain as "started" with an instance in use with in the manager

b) we would try and start the service back up with the same python script

i) ArcSOCs would come back up in task manager, but the server manager was stuck in "starting" phase

2) we would attempt to start and stop service via the manager interface and we would run into the same problem

a) stop service and arcsocs would drop

b) start service and arcsocs would spin up

c) server manager would be stuck at "starting"

this all plays into not really understand what the Server Manager is reaching out to see if the service is running or not. this is why we have a hard time really relying much on the manager interface, it seems too many time it actually doesn't know what is going on real-time.

dave

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dave:

Do you stop the services to update data used in the service?  If so, are you trying to delete a feature class and then recreate it?  If yes to that, have you tried a truncate and append approach to updating data so services do not need to be stopped when only data is being updated but not the feature class schema?

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

I am seeing almost an order of magnitude size increase from 10.5 to 10.5.1.  Bundles that were ~300mb are now over 2gb! I changed from jpg to png32, so i did expect some increase, but that seems excessive.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you able to do a comparison between 10.5 and a previous version of AGS?  I ask because in the upgrade from AGS 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 the cache size has decreased for my cached mapservice.  As such, I'm wondering if cache sizes were improved (decreased) from say 10.3.1 to 10.5.0, but then ESRI changed something between 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 to increase the cache size. 

0 Kudos