Select to view content in your preferred language

My Bucket List

Jump to solution
06-10-2024 04:22 PM
MarkCederholm1
New Contributor II

Hey folks, I'm an old school GIS buff who started at ArcInfo 5. I love code development from AML to Avenue to ArcGIS Runtime to API for Python to JavaScript. I've implemented ArcGIS Server out the wazoo, and administered Portal as well. Here's the thing: I've retired and I don't care about the money anymore. I want to do a Kubernetes implementation just for fun. But I don't have the resources. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

Regardless of the software you choose, @BobBooth1 is right volunteering is the way to go. But the chances of needing Kubernetes for that are pretty close to 0. I've been told the Esri Kubernetes implementation is geared for large roll outs and that it's expensive. So you are very unlikely to find a little watershed group or a land trust that wants it. You'd be better off going all in on ArcGIS Online. (Not interesting to me at all.)

I'd suggest you try Docker instead of Kubernetes unless you have already mastered it. You can run Docker on a laptop or your own server. You can spend years learning it without ever touching kubernetes. I've been working on putting ArcGIS Enterprise into Docker since 2017, off and on. (Longer than Esri! 🙂 See GitHub - Wildsong/docker-arcgis-enterprise: A set of dockers for ESRI Arcgis Enterprise

It has more stars and forks on github than all my other projects combined, and it's not even done! It kind of works. It's 100% free, you "just" have to have licenses for the Esri components you want to use. I set it up to allow deploying one instance of each component, to allow easy testing and learning. I happily accept suggestions and improvements.

I asked several people at Esri for support for this project in the form of a developer account and was stonewalled. I don't have the extra pocket money to pay another year to develop this for them. I retire soon and will have no reason to work on it other than "fun" so I plan on changing direction.

That's why I suggested geoserver and its friends to you. They are actually much more fun than Esri. The developers are mostly friendly and helpful. It's just not Esri, so you won't be working in the same world. This is the tradeoff.

BTW all the open source tools already run in Docker containers... so any Docker skills you learn transfer to a very wide range of other projects.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II
0 Kudos
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

Regardless of the software you choose, @BobBooth1 is right volunteering is the way to go. But the chances of needing Kubernetes for that are pretty close to 0. I've been told the Esri Kubernetes implementation is geared for large roll outs and that it's expensive. So you are very unlikely to find a little watershed group or a land trust that wants it. You'd be better off going all in on ArcGIS Online. (Not interesting to me at all.)

I'd suggest you try Docker instead of Kubernetes unless you have already mastered it. You can run Docker on a laptop or your own server. You can spend years learning it without ever touching kubernetes. I've been working on putting ArcGIS Enterprise into Docker since 2017, off and on. (Longer than Esri! 🙂 See GitHub - Wildsong/docker-arcgis-enterprise: A set of dockers for ESRI Arcgis Enterprise

It has more stars and forks on github than all my other projects combined, and it's not even done! It kind of works. It's 100% free, you "just" have to have licenses for the Esri components you want to use. I set it up to allow deploying one instance of each component, to allow easy testing and learning. I happily accept suggestions and improvements.

I asked several people at Esri for support for this project in the form of a developer account and was stonewalled. I don't have the extra pocket money to pay another year to develop this for them. I retire soon and will have no reason to work on it other than "fun" so I plan on changing direction.

That's why I suggested geoserver and its friends to you. They are actually much more fun than Esri. The developers are mostly friendly and helpful. It's just not Esri, so you won't be working in the same world. This is the tradeoff.

BTW all the open source tools already run in Docker containers... so any Docker skills you learn transfer to a very wide range of other projects.

MarkCederholm1
New Contributor II

Yes, I think that the likelihood of implementing Kubernetes as a volunteer is unlikely.  Nonetheless, I like the idea of volunteering to implement Enterprise: not that such is my true love, but nobody wants Runtime developers. That is the space where I really enjoyed not just developing apps, but also challenging the Dev Team.

0 Kudos