Migrating ArcGIS Server from one machine to another with ArcGIS Enterprise

Jump to solution
02-23-2018 08:36 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Ok, so this would be tricky...

I have a machine where a standalone ArcGIS Server (ver. 10.3.1) is installed. There, I have many published services.

I had used in the past the backup and restore utility to port an ArcGIS Server site from one machien to another with success.

Now, the situation is: my other machine has an ArcGIS Enterprise (ver. 10.6) installed with the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder (if that matters). This implioes that the server is federated with the Portal, that I have

I tried to use the backup/restore procedure in this occasion as well, but I ended up having my server not working anymore and I am now reinstalling from scratch.

Is there a document or similar which highligts the procedure/best practice to do this?

Or should I avoid using the Builder, installing the server component only, and then following the procdedure of Migrating standalone ArcGIS Server to ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Blog?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I understand it, if possible you should start using builder to install the base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise. This way in the future it will be more easy to upgrade to a newer version. However, this might mean that you will need to republish all your services. 

If you do the installation manually, the next time you will won't be able to upgrade using builder. So what you will be doing is "investing" in a best practice to be more aligned and be able to migrate more easily in the future, but it will require the additional effort in your current migration.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I understand it, if possible you should start using builder to install the base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise. This way in the future it will be more easy to upgrade to a newer version. However, this might mean that you will need to republish all your services. 

If you do the installation manually, the next time you will won't be able to upgrade using builder. So what you will be doing is "investing" in a best practice to be more aligned and be able to migrate more easily in the future, but it will require the additional effort in your current migration.

AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks xander_bakker‌.

I just did it starting with ArcGIS Server alone, restoring the services (which now worked fine) and then I'll move on adding the other components manually.

What you are saying is correct: next time I'll consider this approach based on your suggestion and the number of services to migrate.

Thanks!