Migrate a RDBMS to a new hostname. Can the Data Store be updated so that ArcServer / Portal references to the data aren't lost?

07-21-2020 01:44 AM
JamesFerne
New Contributor II

Our organisation has ESRI Enterprise with an onsite Portal for ArcGIS. We are looking to migrate one or more of our RDBMS (PostgreSQL) SDE databases to a new server, and therefore a new hostname. Is there a method for performing such a migration without severing links to ArcGIS Server / Portal? Can the hostname be updated in bulk (perhaps in the Data Store sources somehow), as all other references will remain the same (the database and registrations will be backup / restored with the same values)? Otherwise is it a case of republishing all services (which seems a little cumbersome)?

Edit 1: I guess I need to add a new data store (pointing to the new host) and update the services so they look at this new data store (this would not be every service on our ArcServer). Is there a way of doing this?

Edit 2: I have noticed on looking in the data store it is possible to 'Edit Database Connection', so will test if keeping the 'Name' the same but changing the 'Publisher Database Connection' alters associated services to this Data Store to point to the new location.

Edit 3:  Attempting to alter the 'Publisher Database Connection' did not work, an unhelpful error icon was displayed without details. I then tried updating the 'Server Database Connection', restarted the web service, and it is now reading the data from the new host. This is useful, as I can edit all our Data Store RDBMS connections and it will en masse change the service sources. This will be useful in the future when we want to divide our RDBMS onto further servers in order to increase redundancy and improve query performance as we scale users.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have your Data Store on a server that is separate from all other components of your Portal implementation?  Will you be migrating to a newer operating system (OS) for this server (e.g.Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019), so this server's new OS will be at a different version from all other servers that are a part of your Portal implementation?

0 Kudos
JamesFerne
New Contributor II

The ArcGIS Data Store (Managed Database) is on the same server as ArcServer. This will not be changing.
The change is for RDBMS SDE (Database) which will move from one server (hostname) to another. By making this change I would anticipate services will stop working, as there will no longer be a database for it to connect to (as this database will be removed). I'm not sure the OS matters, and it isn't changing.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Adding Geodatabase

--- George T.
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James Ferne‌,

Is it possible to change the server name of the new SQL instance to the server name of the old SQL instance?  I've done this several times with customers.  This will alleviate the need to remap data sources in Pro Projects/MXDs, edit ArcGIS Server Data Store connections, and re-publish services.

0 Kudos
JamesFerne
New Contributor II

No this won't be possible due to server capacities and our on-site infrastructure - we have outgrown our current allocated server, and will be moving our live RDBMS to a new server (which will co-incidentally get renamed with the old hostname to mitigate risk of services not working), and the old server will be allocated a new hostname.

0 Kudos