Learning Progression to provide GIS content via the Web

07-31-2012 10:00 AM
ScottRobinson
New Contributor III
I would like to know what the learning progression would be to provide GIS content on the web.  I'm experienced with GIS but I would like to expand my firm's capabilities by providing content to company managers who have no GIS skills.  What course work/software/programming languages do I need to go from and ArcGIS user to a web content provider?  Parallel with this what do I need to learn to be able to provide content to field offices in low-bandwidth rural areas.

Thanks,

Scott Robinson
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
If you have ArcGIS 10.1 you might think about using ArcGIS Online (AGOL) to share web content within your office and out to your satellite offices.  ESRI could host the mapservices where you would just need to provide them the data.

I also think they could host simple template type applications where they would use the services with your specific content which could be combined with their base maps.

You would be limited by their out-of-the-box tools, which might be good enough anyhow.  If the out-of-the-box tools do not meet your business needs, they you would need to perform custom coding which could be done in various languages (VB.NET, C#, Javascript, etc. to name a few).

I would suggest viewing their documentation on AGOL as a start.
0 Kudos