Joining a feature class with a table fails to display the label/ symbology correctly, and only four records per feature is displayed, taking into consideration that the relation between the feature and the table is one to many,

Jump to solution
05-03-2017 01:21 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

We couldn’t figure out why when we join a feature class with a table, the label/ symbology of the records is appeared only for four records per feature, taking into consideration that the relation between the feature and the table is one to many,

For example, we have a feature class (communities) and a table (All_projects_Area_C_17_4_2017)  and want to join the feature with table and keep only the matching records taking into consideration that the relation between the feature and the table is one to many (attached), what we found strange is that the records in the joined table is one by one, but when it comes to  label and symbology,  the ArcMap 10.5 is displayed the records of the table (more than one record per feature) but if we have for example (1-7 records) only four records (labels/ symbols) appeared per feature. Is this a new behavior when it comes to join? And How to increase the number of displayed records for both labels and symbols (more than four)?

What might be the issue here?

Thank you

Best,

Majdoleen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PanGIS
by

Hi Majdoleen,

I got the 4 labels as well at first.

But, if you Open the Labeling toolbar, then enable the Maplex Engine and set the Placement Quality from Fast to Best,  you will be able to see the 6 labels.

Try and let me know.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PanGIS
by

Hi,

I am afraid you can't use a Join when your cardinality is One to Many

have a look at this: About joining and relating tables—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

the join works only for One to One, or Many to One.

I would consider the Relate or a Relationship Class

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Any updates, Pan gis?

Please feel free to test it at your environment, kindly download the data from this: File sharing and storage made simple 

Thank you in advance

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Hi Pan,

Thank you so much for your reply, I do agree with you, my expectation that the join works only for One to One, but I surprised when we found that the records in the joined table is one by one, but when it comes to label and symbology, the ArcMap 10.5 is displayed the records of the table (more than one record per feature) but if we have for example (1-7 records) only four records (labels/ symbols) appeared per feature.

Please feel free to test it at your environment, kindly download the data from this: File sharing and storage made simple 

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by

Hi Majdoleen,

I got the 4 labels as well at first.

But, if you Open the Labeling toolbar, then enable the Maplex Engine and set the Placement Quality from Fast to Best,  you will be able to see the 6 labels.

Try and let me know.

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Great, thank you Pan gis, your solution resolved my issue.

Do you have any idea if we can apply this for symbology too? Right now, the only way to show the symbology of many features is by using offset X and Y.(attached)

But unfortunately, if I have three MDLF projects, it will show only one symbology! What do you think?

If the issue of labeling one to many is resolved by using join, why not to have an option to resolve the symbology of one to many?