I've been having an issue with ArcPro when I am creating a layout. When I create a map, we usually add the file path at the bottom for tracking purposes. Whenever I try and put the file path into the layout, the entire program freezes. I have tried dynamic text, copy/paste it from the file window, and type it in my hand. No matter what I do, as soon as the file path is in the text box, the entire program freezes is unusable. It can take anywhere from a few mins to up to half an hour to completely render. It freezes again if I try and move the text box as well. If it normal text (just type into a text box), things are fine. It really just is when I add a file path.
Is there some setting where it is trying to link back to the file? Does it not like the characters that are in the file path? I am at a loss! Any help would be appreciated.
What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using? I've tested the Dynamic Text functionality in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2, specifically adding the "Path - Shows the project path" option. I'm guessing this is the same functionality you're describing. When adding this text into a layout I don't experience any crashing or odd behavior. If you're not in 2.6.2 I would recommend upgrading to see if this has any impact.
Also, if you create a project and save it in a different location, say somewhere on the C: drive, does the same crash occur with the dynamic path text? Or does it only happen for the project saved at that particular location?
If you utilize one of the other dynamic text options (i.e. Folder, Default Folder, Default Geodatabase) does the crash occur with these as well?
Could you outline what this path looks like? Just want to make sure there aren't any weird characters within it.
Hopefully we can figure this out!
I am on Pro 2.4.2. I'm in a government environment, so its not super easy to upgrade. I am using the "Show Project Path", but this happens if I use dynamic text or type it in, it doesn't seem to matter.
I tried saving to an internal hard drive and my C drive and that didnt seem to matter either. I just had my help desk uninstall and reinstall my copy of Pro and it seems to be slightly better, but still takes 1-2 mins to think about adding, resizing, or editing the text.
The dynamic text other than folder name seems to render relatively fast. I tested it with several other dynamic text and they all had no problems.
The path has a format of N:\FolderName\FolderName\~FY21_ProjectName. I wonder if its is the tilda that is causing issues.
I just tested with the following project name ~TestThis.aprx and didn't experience any crashing or slowness. You could do a quick test on your end creating a project that doesn't contain this special character and see what happens. You mention that it doesn't seem to matter whether you type it in or use the dynamic text, it will freeze. However in your initial post you say that "If its normal text (just type into a text box), things are fine." So I'm a but confused about your statement saying if you just type it in it will freeze. Could you clarify?
If you'd like you could attach a project package to this thread containing the troublesome project and I could attempt to replicate the behavior. Although it may not carry over being that the Path will be altered depending on where I download the project to. However if I do experience the same odd behavior we can confirm it isn't an issue of that particular path, but rather something with the project as a whole. It could also be something with your Pro installation as a whole, being that it is occurring with multiple projects regardless of the save location.
Sorry for the confusion, if I use the text in layout view to make a heading for a map that says "My Map", everything is fine. If I use the text to either use dynamic text to add a file path or copy/paste a file path or hand type a file path, then it starts freezing.
I have tried it with multiple projects using different data every time, so I do not believe that it is a project based issue. I had our local help desk uninstall and re-install the program to see if that was the case as well. It did help, but only slightly (as described above). I do not think I can attach the project package due the nature of the data and environment I am in.