Is it at all possible to give ArcGIS desktop basic license users editing permissions within an enterprise geodatabase?

Jump to solution
12-05-2016 02:37 PM
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am relatively new to the enterprise geodatabase world. I would like to create a centralized database where other employees can  add and update their spatial data. Enterprise Geodatabases seem to be the way to go, but the problem is almost everyone else in my agency has (or will have) ArcGIS Basic licenses. is it at all possible to accomplish this? I was hoping that I might be able to create users and give them INSERT, UPDATE privileges. However, I am not sure if this is possible for ArcGIS basic license users. 

Thanks,

Michael 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, the answer is "no". You will have to upgrade your licenses to ArcGIS Desktop Standard to support editing content in an enterprise geodatabase. Sorry.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, the answer is "no". You will have to upgrade your licenses to ArcGIS Desktop Standard to support editing content in an enterprise geodatabase. Sorry.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Check out  around page 27 of this PDF

http://www.esri.com/~/media/Files/Pdfs/library/whitepapers/pdfs/arcmap-functionality-matrix.pdf 

This doc shows all the differences between Basic/Standard/Advanced for a lot of the tools, tasks and processes,  A partial clip of the Multiuser Geodatabase editing info is below (more on the next page of doc)

MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Rebecca and Derek, thank you! You've answered my question. Not the answer I was hoping for, but it is what it is. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael,

Here is the Geodatabase functionality in ArcGIS for Desktop Basic—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop help link. This explains all of the limits with a Basic license.

--- George T.
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I like that.  It is even a more straight forward list of Basic functionality for just GDBs (instead of looking thru the entire PDF...which is still a great resource)

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you George! That sums up what I needed to know. 

0 Kudos