Importing KML service from external source

Jump to solution
08-16-2021 01:07 AM
AhmedShehata3
New Contributor III

Greetings, 

I'm trying to integrate real-time data feeds from an external source (GPS tracking devices) into Portal for ArcGIS. The data comes out from the source portal as a URL shown below:

https://www.gtctrack.com/KML/PositionHistory?username=(username)&password=(password)&fromDate=(from)...)

It doesn't work when I try to add a KML file using the Portal's Map Viewer. Also, it's not possible to add it using any of the available options within the "Add a layer from web" dialog. 

Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi Ahmed,

From personal experience KML is not the ideal format to be trying to convert to feature classes as all the attribute information is normally stored in a single field (popup field) after conversion.

I have two suggestions though.

1. Use a python script run on schedule to convert the KML to feature class and then overwrite the hosted layer.
  2. Use ArcGIS GeoEvent Server (ArcGIS Server Role). ArcGIS GeoEvent Server enables real-time event-based data streams to be integrated as data sources in your enterprise GIS. Event data can be filtered, processed, and sent to multiple destinations, allowing you to connect with virtually any type of streaming data and automatically alert personnel when specified conditions occur, all in real-time.  GTCTrack may have other API endpoints that could be used with GeoEvent server as well.

Best of luck.

Davin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

The source may not allow access to external web addresses. (i.e this may only work in gtctrack applications.)

This is probably more a question for GTCTrack. 

0 Kudos
AhmedShehata3
New Contributor III

Hi Davin, 

Thanks for your response. Actually, I checked with them and it seems like it was an issue with the URL as the Map Viewer does not parse URLs properly when they include the following characters (#:?=). 

The KML file is there now, but it includes point locations and paths, and no symbology or feature analysis can be applied to it. My challenge now is to extract the point features and convert them into a hosted feature layer that gets updated in almost real-time. Any suggestions on where to start? 

0 Kudos
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi Ahmed,

From personal experience KML is not the ideal format to be trying to convert to feature classes as all the attribute information is normally stored in a single field (popup field) after conversion.

I have two suggestions though.

1. Use a python script run on schedule to convert the KML to feature class and then overwrite the hosted layer.
  2. Use ArcGIS GeoEvent Server (ArcGIS Server Role). ArcGIS GeoEvent Server enables real-time event-based data streams to be integrated as data sources in your enterprise GIS. Event data can be filtered, processed, and sent to multiple destinations, allowing you to connect with virtually any type of streaming data and automatically alert personnel when specified conditions occur, all in real-time.  GTCTrack may have other API endpoints that could be used with GeoEvent server as well.

Best of luck.

Davin

0 Kudos
AhmedShehata3
New Contributor III

Thanks, Davin. This was really helpful!