How to tell which service is associated with an ArcSOC.exe

Jump to solution
08-28-2013 07:56 AM
StevenMenefee1
New Contributor II
I was wondering if there was any way to tell which service an ArcSOC.exe is associated with?  I read on one forum that you can turn on the "Command Line" column in Task Manager of the ArcGIS Server machine.  However, I don't have that column listed as a choice (on Windows Server 2003).  Is there an alternate way of checking this?  Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Since Windows 2003 does not have the Command Line column in the Task Manager, I'd recommend using the Sysinternals utility Process Explorer to get this info.  Keep in mind the service information is only available in the command line for 10.1 and later.  If you are using 9.3 or 10.0 you will need to set the ArcGIS Server log level to Info: Detailed and manually match the PID in the logs to the SOC PID in the Task Manager.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Since Windows 2003 does not have the Command Line column in the Task Manager, I'd recommend using the Sysinternals utility Process Explorer to get this info.  Keep in mind the service information is only available in the command line for 10.1 and later.  If you are using 9.3 or 10.0 you will need to set the ArcGIS Server log level to Info: Detailed and manually match the PID in the logs to the SOC PID in the Task Manager.
0 Kudos
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Jeff,

How can I find the associated PID for a ArcGIS Server service...?  Do I have to scour the logs, or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor

Matthew,

Assuming you are using Server v10.1 or later, the command line column in the Windows Task Manager or Process Explorer are the easiest ways.  If you are using an earlier version, you will have to scour the logs and manually match them.

0 Kudos
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Jeff,

Ahhhh...I guess it would help if I turned on the command line column in the task manager, huh?...Since it's not on by default, that was throwing me off.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Both of these posts are very helpful, as I can now determine exactly which process is running under each PID (Process Identifier) in a Windows 2008 Server environment.  I believe SDE exposed the PID, but in the past it was difficult if not impossible to determine which ArcGIS Server service was associated with a specific PID.
0 Kudos