Select to view content in your preferred language

How to handle authentication against /portal/sharing/rest in PowerAutomate webhook receiver?

Jump to solution
05-27-2024 11:34 AM
PhilippeVDV
New Contributor III

Hello

I've set up SAML authentication for ArcGIS Enterprise where users can join automatically with a default Viewer user type.

I'm trying now to set up an organization webook. The idea is that when a SAML user is added to a specific Portal group (through SAML based group membership), a webhook is triggered to promote the user type from Viewer to Creator (and role from Viewer to Editor)

In /portal/sharing/rest you can do a http POST request to update the UserType as follows: https://FQDN/portal/sharing/rest/portals/0123456789ABCDEF/updateUserLicenseType

I've configured the webhook in ArcGIS Enterprise succesfully, but I'm struggling now in PowerAutomate with the authentication against /portal/sharing/rest

I tried to authenticate by setting Authentication Type to Basic and providing the portaladmin credentials

PhilippeVDV_0-1716833787383.png

Next, I execute the http POST request as follows:

PhilippeVDV_3-1716834219602.png

But this doesn't seem to work

The webhook receiver is triggered succesfully when a user is added to the group, but it seems that the authentication goes wrong against /portal/sharing/rest, because I receive a 403 error: "You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation"

So basically my question is, how do you authenticate agains /portal/sharing/rest so that you can execute all the available POST requests

I'm not a developer, but I hope that this should be possible in some way? All ideas or sample code are welcome (preferably in Power Automate)

Best regards

Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not real sure what thing in Power Automate your first screen shot is from, but I'll guess it's not what you want to use / it doesn't authenticate like you want.

Try making an HTTP Post call to generateToken: https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/generate-token/

That should return a token, which you can then use on all your calls that require authentication. In my screen shot I get a token, parse it from the response, and make use of as a header on all my calls back to the Portal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not real sure what thing in Power Automate your first screen shot is from, but I'll guess it's not what you want to use / it doesn't authenticate like you want.

Try making an HTTP Post call to generateToken: https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/generate-token/

That should return a token, which you can then use on all your calls that require authentication. In my screen shot I get a token, parse it from the response, and make use of as a header on all my calls back to the Portal.

0 Kudos
PhilippeVDV
New Contributor III

@KevinHibma , thanks a lot for your feedback! Following your instructions I was able to create the webhook that increases the User Type and Role when a user is added manually to a certain group. This works perfect now.

However, my webhook doesn't seem to work when a SAML user is added automatically to a Portal group that was created based on SAML based group membership.

I tested both with /groups/<groupID>/addUsers and the more general /groups/<groupID> but when a SAML user authenticates the first time and is added automatically to the group it doesn't seem to trigger anything. Any idea how to solve this?
Best regards

Phil

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

@PhilippeVDV Interesting timing. I've been working on this exact question this week. Today, you're correct, no webhook is triggered when a SAML user has been added to the group by based on group membership. Internally, different "things" are happening with the add user / authentication checks and calls when going this route compared to adding a built-in user to a group. I'm investigating if we're able to support this scenario. For now, I do not believe there are any workarounds.

0 Kudos
PhilippeVDV
New Contributor III

Thanks again for your feedback @KevinHibma . I opened a support case in parallel, and apparently an enhancement request was logged very recently:

ENH-000166912 - Portal organization webhook: Add capability to trigger /addUser and /removeUser events for group members who joined based on (AD) SAML-based membership

And got also this information: "This is because those users are automatically enlisted as a member of the group because that was the prerequisite (that they can join because they're a member of a particular designated SAML Group). Sharing, unsharing, and deleting items from the group does trigger an event. A workaround for this, if they want to be alerted when such a user joins that group, would be to just have them share something immediately after joining."

I did not test the workaround yet

Best regards

Phil

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

That's exactly the enhancement request I'm evaluating. I need to see if its technically possible before accepting/rejecting. I hope to have that question figured out soon. If we can do it, we'll try to address in an upcoming release.