How many Services, is there a limit?

Jump to solution
09-07-2016 05:24 PM
TimHayes1
Occasional Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS for Server 10.2.2 with SQL Server 2008 R2.

I am running 80 Map and Geoprocessing Services. 

So far, there have been no performance issues. The WebMaps I have created using the Local Layer Widget (all hosted internally, not using AGOL) work fantastic.

But, i keep getting requests for "more please".

How many Services can be run from ArcGIS for Server? is there a limit?

thanks. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
TomasPokorny
New Contributor III

we have 650 services but with 0/1 pooling. Server can get in to troubles when many, tens of services, are started in one time. There was some kind of problem on Windows Server & AGS Server, where OS had limitation for number of processes. But it could be overrun via registry edit (of course not supported solution)

0 Kudos
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

'Dispelling old myths (p.32)

Just as best practices are updated, there are certain beliefs about the software that are no longer true:

Myth: "Windows can only run approximately 250 service instances." (referring to SOC processes)

Truth: This is a Windows imposed limitation that can be lifted by changing a setting within the Windows registry. Remember! You must still have enough system resources (memory and CPU) to power all these services. Unless you have at least 50 GB RAM available for running services, you are unlikely to be impacted by this. See this technical article for more information and specific steps: support.esri.com/technical-article/000001218.'

--> Maximum number of windows service instances on Arc... - Esri Community