How can I stop building a tile cache on ArcGIS Server?

Jump to solution
10-23-2020 11:55 AM
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

I opted to build a tile cache manually, published the web layer, and started the build from Portal.

About 10 seconds later I realized a layer was turned off so I need to cancel the build and publish again.

I tried to delete the service in Portal so that I could republish it, and it won't let me, I just get the ubiquitous "ERROR" message.

I am assuming the in-progress cache build is stopping the deletion? Delete is probably too stupid to kill the build and it's keeping the files locked.

Is there a way to kill the build operation from the server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Wilson

I found the web interface. When you start tile generation, the "Create Tiles" button turns into "Stop Creating Tiles".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Brian_Wilson

After more searching I found docs on how to manage caches in ArcCatalog, but the tools were grayed out. (And yes, I did connect with an admin account.) There is no "stop building" option.

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

You need the menu option directly below that, which is grayed out. View Cache Status... has an option to cancel caching. See View cache completion status—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise  for details.

I know I've had a problem with those tools graying out before. Seems like the fix was something stupid like closing and reopening ArcCatalog. I'll see if I can find any documentation and get back to you.

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

OK, take two. Try running this tool: Manage Map Server Cache Status (Server)—ArcMap | Documentation . If closing/reopening ArcCatalog doesn't do it, this tool might "shake it loose."

Brian_Wilson

I found the web interface. When you start tile generation, the "Create Tiles" button turns into "Stop Creating Tiles".

0 Kudos