Having Issue on Setting ArcGIS Web Adapter On Multi-tiered Deployment

Jump to solution
01-23-2018 02:10 PM
BehrouzHosseini
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to install ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 on two separate physical machines called GISSV01and GISSV02. This means that there is a separate machine for each of the following:

• ArcGIS Server (GISSV01)
  • Portal for ArcGIS (GISSV02)

The portal will be in charge of authentication process. Now my questions are:

• 1 - Where should I Install the Web Adaptor on GISSV01 or GISSV02 only or both? 
  • 2 - I need to install Portal only Portal for ArcGIS on GISSV02. From the point of Enterpise level, do I have to have the `ArcGIS for Server to be installed at that machine?

enter image description here

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Juan_ManuelAngel
Esri Contributor

You can add a 3 machine ? if the answer is yes, i recomend you to install the IIS(Internet Infortion Service) in the new machine and install the two web adaptor in that machine, for security the Web Server must be in the DMZ  with the two web adaptor( Install ArcGIS Web Adaptor—ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) Installation Guide (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise ), remember open the ports for Portal for ArcGIS Ports used by Portal for ArcGIS—Portal for ArcGIS (Windows) Installation Guide (10.5) | ArcGIS Enter...  and the port for the ArcGIS Server.

I hope this help you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PhilipMcNeilly
Esri Contributor

1.  The web adaptors for Portal and Server(need to have 2 separate web adaptors) can be installed on either machine.  How you chose to do this will depend entirely on your intended use.  Many users chose to install the web adaptor on a different machine in their DMZ if the goal is to allow access via the internet for their GIS. 

Portal: The portal's role in ArcGIS—ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) Installation Guide (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Server: Inside an ArcGIS Server site—ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) Installation Guide (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

2. Portal can be installed independently of ArcGIS Server.  You will still be able to federate Portal for ArcGIS with ArcGIS Server with the components installed on separate machines. 

Juan_ManuelAngel
Esri Contributor

You can add a 3 machine ? if the answer is yes, i recomend you to install the IIS(Internet Infortion Service) in the new machine and install the two web adaptor in that machine, for security the Web Server must be in the DMZ  with the two web adaptor( Install ArcGIS Web Adaptor—ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) Installation Guide (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise ), remember open the ports for Portal for ArcGIS Ports used by Portal for ArcGIS—Portal for ArcGIS (Windows) Installation Guide (10.5) | ArcGIS Enter...  and the port for the ArcGIS Server.

I hope this help you!

0 Kudos
BehrouzHosseini
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for comment Juan, but I just have two machines GISSV01& GISSV02  and  I have already IIS installed on GISSV02 so can I install the two web adapters ( for Portal and Server)  in GISSV02 ? Back to original question do I have to install ArcGIS For Server on GISSV02 which is only suppose to generates tokens? or the Adabtores are good enough?

0 Kudos
Juan_ManuelAngel
Esri Contributor

Yeah you can do, install the Two web Adaptor in GISSV02 but remember you need to use different names to the Web Adaptor for example: portal(Portal for ArcGIS Web Adaptor) and server(ArcGIS Server Web Adaptor).

0 Kudos
BehrouzHosseini
Occasional Contributor

just one more confirmation , How about GISSV01  which is hosting ArcGIS  Server, Do I have to install any Adapter (either for Portal or Server) at there too?

0 Kudos
Juan_ManuelAngel
Esri Contributor

No bengi you dont need to install any adapter the only thing you need to do is open the port 6080 http and 6443 https  to get comunication  GIS1 GIS2. just open the ports and configure the Web Adaptor thats all.