Select to view content in your preferred language

Grouping Methods with Map Image Layers

10-12-2023 05:13 AM
KevinFowler3
New Contributor II

Hello!

I'm working on putting together a Portal map that mostly utilizes map image layers. I'm trying to use the image layers since there is no editing being done in the map and to improve performance. The one issue that has been stopping me from using the image layers is the lack of flexibility you have with grouping. I'm able to freely move/organize feature services any way I want but image services seem to be very limited. I have been able to click a layer in the image service and click move and select a group and it will copy the layer but it still mirrors the original layer and is very buggy.

In short, this has been a major draw back of using map image layers. Has anyone found any alternative solutions to this? I've tested Vector Tiles but that, in my opinion, is much to cumbersome for this situation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

hi @KevinFowler3 

It worked for me when I tried. Pls see below. By any chance do you have symbol layer drawing enabled at your group layer level?

Thanks

map_image_layer_grouplayer_shuffle_order.gif

0 Kudos
KevinFowler3
New Contributor II

Hi @TanuHoque 
What you showed is correct. But you cannot move the layers outside of the group. In my case, I am trying to group both an Image Layer and a Service Layer under the same group. For example: I have a Feature Layer for our sanitary sewer but I have another layer in a Map Image Layer that I would like to put in the same group as the Feature Layers. Unfortunately the layer that I'm trying to move has to be in an Map Image because it's a Database View.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@KevinFowler3 

If you are trying to move a feature layer, that is not part of a map service inside a map image layer, then that is not supported. Layers must be part of a map service to begin with - then when you add that to a web map, it becomes what we call map image layer -- at that point you should be able to move layer's position within that map image layer.

that said, I see an issue (maybe that is what you are talking about)  where when a layer (inside a group layer within a map image layer) can't be moved out of that group layer.

I will forward this issue to the relevant team.

0 Kudos
KevinFowler3
New Contributor II

@TanuHoque 

Ideally I would look to move layers out of the Map Image layer. But I understand that's not supported. However when you have multiple groups setup in the table of contents, click the options button on the layer within the map image layer, there is a Move option where you can choose to move it to a group (or even no group). When you attempt to move it to a different group it doesn't work (which makes sense bc that action is not supported). BUT when you choose to move to No Group it will make a copy of the layer in the table of Contents. It wont work but it will show the layer there none the less.
I guess including that as an option in the map image layer is miss leading knowing it not a supported action.

And you're also right about the other issue you brought up. In short, Map Image Layers do not get along with groups in general, regardless if they are within the map image layer or outside.

In the example snippits I've included, I'm attempting to move the the Image Layer 'Pipelines' into a custom group I created. It will not move it to the group, but when I choose 'No Group' it will make a copy all by itself, but it kills the map.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

thanks @KevinFowler3 

I will forward your findings to the relevant team. Is it okay for you to reach out to Esri Support and log a bug?

0 Kudos
KevinFowler3
New Contributor II

@TanuHoque 
I will! Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

thank you for reporting

0 Kudos