Geocoder requires City to find a match

Jump to solution
08-12-2019 02:53 PM
PhilLarkin1
Occasional Contributor III

When using geocoders on 10.7 (Point Address, Street Address) I'm unable to find a match if the City field is not populated. When used in ArcGIS Pro 2.4, the city field is not required and I get good returns. 

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Shana Britt

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilLarkin1

Well, the answer back from Support is one that has been given since at least 10.1:

• Modify the loc file to include: supportsOptionalZone = true

Manually editing a file is kludgy. I'd really like to see: 

1. Locator properties exposed in arcpy
  2. Locator properties exposed in the UI for Create Locator and Create Address Locator tools in ArcMap/Pro. 
  3. Snickers bars mailed out to all the users that test new products extensively and version after version ask for the same enhancements/bug fixes. 

Thanks for your help Eric and Joe.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Did you use ArcGIS 10.7 and the create address locator tool to create your locators?  If so, you need to go to the locator properties, Geocoding Options and change 'Match with no zones' from NO (the default) to YES.

That should just about do it....
PhilLarkin1

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. 

I am using the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.4. I had tested 'Match out of range' set to Yes and No with no positive result. I'd expect a user to be able to pass a simple address, without sending a city. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've been fighting with....  errrr I mean I've been using the Create Locator tool in 2.4 for the past few weeks and find it to be challenging. (Trying to be nice here....). The match out of range thing is a mystery to me. Mine have worked without passing a city, but when I create the locator, I only field map those fields I want, so I don't check anything I that is 'zone' related. No Neighborhood, No Metro Area, No City and so forth.

Here is a copy of the parameters I use in an address point role:

Parameters
Country or Region USA
Primary Table(s) AddressPoints PointAddress
Field Mapping
'PointAddress.HOUSE_NUMBER AddressPoints.ADDR_HN';
'PointAddress.STREET_PREFIX_DIR AddressPoints.ADDR_PD';
'PointAddress.STREET_NAME AddressPoints.ADDR_SN';
'PointAddress.STREET_SUFFIX_TYPE AddressPoints.ADDR_ST';
'PointAddress.STREET_SUFFIX_DIR AddressPoints.ADDR_SD';

You can capture this info when the tool completes: I use it so I can script creating locators.

Calling Eric Anderson‌ ; are you there?

PhilLarkin1

I suppose removing City from the logic is a reasonable workaround for a small set of addresses. However, I'm trying to serve 200k addresses in various jurisdictions with matching street names. I want my locator to distinguish between cities, but I don't want this to be a required entry. 

Thanks again for your input. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

So you have the potential for the same address in two or more cities?  I don't know of a way around using a city then to distguish them. You might try it without and then depend on suggestions so the end users make the choice. Kind of a give and take scenario for you.

0 Kudos
PhilLarkin1

That is correct. And yes, city is the distinguishing data point. My issue is that it appears to be a required field. If I submit a valid address without City no matches are returned....even when the tolerance is dropped very low.

I'm not sure how the suggestions would help if my locator is not built with City.

Premium support ticket time! 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I wouldn't know either without trying it.  I'm very lucky in the sense that in my area of operations (Salt Lake Valley, Utah) there are a dozen cities but they are all on the same grid.  Other areas here in Utah like Utah Valley (aka Utah County) have as many grids as they do cities.  I'd be in a padded cell by now if I had to deal with that!

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

Can you expand on what you mean by "When using geocoders on 10.7". Are you using ArcGIS Desktop 10.7? ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7?

You stated you used the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and when used in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 you "get good returns". So where exactly are you seeing the issue with no matches being returned without a city? Can you provide any relevant screenshots?

Thank you,

Eric

PhilLarkin1

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. 

I am publishing to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 via ArcGIS Pro 2.4. When searching via the geocode service, specifically findAddressCandidates, City appears to be required. When testing the locator that is published to Enterprise in Pro, the desired behavior is experienced: locator returns results when City is not passed. 

findAddressCandidates 10.3.1 and 10.7

0 Kudos