'GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA' error

12-19-2017 07:58 AM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

We are receiving the following error message on several datasets in our SQL Server database: Unable to save edits: Attribute column not found[42s22:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQl Server][SQL Server] Invalid column name 'GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA'.] What does this mean, and how do I correct the problem?

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

SQL Server spatial types and ArcGIS—Manage geodatabases in SQL Server | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcGIS adds a column to store extra geometric elements

The geometry and geography types cannot store all types of geometric elements that geodatabases must support. Therefore, when you create or register a feature class that uses the geometry or geography storage type with a geodatabase in SQL Server, ArcGIS adds a column to the business table to store these additional geometric elements. The column is called gdb_geomattr_data. The additional geometric elements include the following:

• Parametric objects such as circular arcs and Bezier curves created with advanced editing tools
  • PointIDs
  • Multipatch features
  • Surface patches from ArcGIS Spatial Analyst

When ArcGIS detects the data source has these additional geometric elements, a simple geometric representation is stored in the shape column and the unmodified data (including the additional elements) is stored in the gdb_geomattr_datacolumn.

• What version of ArcGIS Desktop is being used?
  • What is the version of the Enterprise geodatabase?
  • What version of SQL Server database is being used?
  • Was editing working fine on the same data and you are suddenly getting this error? Or did you make some changes today and now you get the error?
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gary Bowles‌ Did you ever figure this out? This is happening when attempting to save edits, not when enabling archiving.

I am seeing the same error using version 10.6.1. 

• What version of ArcGIS Desktop is being used?
  • What is the version of the Enterprise geodatabase?
  • What version of SQL Server database is being used?
  • Was editing working fine on the same data and you are suddenly getting this error? Or did you make some changes today and now you get the error?
    • Nothing has been changed with the data recently, we had been successfully editing data up until a week ago. I have tested editing a few different feature classes in this same feature dataset and am seeing the same error. Other feature datasets seem ok. This feature dataset is registered as versioned, and had archiving enabled on 4/12/18. My colleague tested editing in Pro and got the same error.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would recommend updating the Enterprise Geodatabase to the same version of the client and retest. The fix for this issue may have been in the geodatabase.

--- George T.