Feature Class Causing Slow Performance In Map Service

798
8
10-19-2016 09:04 AM
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I have a map service with several global raster datasets. I'm using an ocean mask feature overlay to essentially clip the rasters (for display) to the world country outlines. The problem is that this overlay is causing pretty slow performance in the map. When I click on a raster it takes three or four seconds for the popup to come up and display the pixel value. Switching between rasters is also very slow. When I remove the overlay or hide it in the map service, I can instantly switch between the raster layers and the popup comes up immediately. It's a pretty drastic improvement. The trade off is that the map looks terrible with the rasters spilling out into the ocean. I've tried converting the shape to a raster, but the edges look blocky, even after bilinear interpolation. I can't save it as a basemap, because I can't publish basemaps to the server. I used the simplify tool to cut the shapefile size by two thirds, but this did not improve performance. 

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Frequent Contributor

Does the overlay get queried as well when you query the raster?  If so, you can turn on Verbose logging within ArcGIS Server and take a look at the Data Access message, and see how long it took to get the data for the query.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I tried unchecking the query option for the service, but it affected the rasters as well. The rasters and overlay feature are all layers in a single dynamic map service. I've just decided to have rasters with rough edges and no mask. 

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I also tried adding the mask as a separate map service feature layer. Same problem, the map is very, very sluggish. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Frequent Contributor

You're making export map requests, instead of using the feature layer, right?  I know you mentioned that you simplified the polygon, but does it still have a lot of vertices?  Here's a blog post on determining how many vertices a feature has.  Where is the data stored?  FGDB, or a geodatabase?  Is the data local to the Server?  If you were to turn on Verbose logging and make an export map request, can you take a look at the logs and determine which operation within the export map request takes the most time?  You'll need to turn on the Elapsed Time column.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I diced the feature to about a quarter of it's original size. I made a map service request on the REST services page. These are the errors I see for the last hour "SEVERE: failed to rename cache folder" and "SEVERE: iMessage: ReadXML failed." I think the rename cache error is happening when I click on a raster and the popup returns "no information available." This was the problem I was having before, when I switch layers and click, the first click returns a result, but after that I get "no information available." This doesn't happen when I remove the mask from the map service.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

So I published the diced and simplified feature as a separate map service and it seems to have solved the problem. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Frequent Contributor

That's good news, Lloyd, thanks for following up.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you!

0 Kudos