Select to view content in your preferred language

Failed to validate server managed database

10-27-2023 04:36 AM
wizgis
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Community, 

We are on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 and have a multi-machine deployment with Server, Portal & Datastore on machine A and WebAdaptor installed and configured on machine B.

We are facing an intermittent issue all of a sudden where ArcGIS Data Store is sometimes validating with Portal & Server and sometimes not. I am not really sure what exactly is causing this behavior. Am attaching screenshots for reference purpose. Although tile cache data store does get validated. 

InkedValidateMultiple.jpgInkedValidatePortal.jpgInkedValidateSingle.jpgValidatePortal_Failed.png

Observations: 

• New hosted services are not getting published though, existing hosted services are loading in map viewer with attributes as well as geometry (not sure if its an expected behavior given data store is not getting validated). 
  • Not sure if it's related to this however, have noticed that it is taking time for server manager, portal home to load. 

Troubleshooting done so far: 

• Have restarted the machine that has Portal, Server and DataStore installed. 
  • Have restarted windows services of Portal, Server and DataStore 3-4 times. 

Any suggestions or further troubleshooting steps would be highly appreciated. 

8 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

You can test the Enterprise Geodatabase rdbms database connection using the database client tool in each arcgis server machine to troubleshoot this further, if you do not know how to do this then I recommend you to ask assistance from your database administrator. You did not mention your RDBMS flavor, but for example:

Oracle Instant Client - Oracle SQL Plus

PostgreSQL - pgAdmin / psql

SQL Server - SQL Server Management Studio / sqlcmd

If the issue is intermittent then this can have many reasons, network interruptions, busy database server, etc. in any of these circumstances the database administrator shall be able to troubleshoot and diagnose what the problem might be.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
wizgis
by
Occasional Contributor II

@MarceloMarques Thank you for sharing your inputs. 

Unfortunately, we do not have a database administrator and moreover, I am curious to know if we would need a database administrator as the issue is with DataStore not getting validated.

One more thing that I noticed today is  after I stop the services of Server, Portal & DataStore there are still certain java processes that are running in the task manager. Am not sure if this is an expected behavior and could this be the cause of DataStore not validating. Moreover, if this is not an expected behavior should I go ahead and end these tasks manually. 

Attaching a screenshot for reference. 

OrphanedProcesses.PNG

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Use the command "describedatastore" to check the status for your datastore, if datastore is read-only then it will fail to validate, you can then change your datastore to read-write if necessary, if you still encounter issues then I recommend you to open a ticket with Esri Tech Support to investigate in more detail.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
aahiapple
New Contributor

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue as described in the question. However, I do not have a database administrator. Do you mind explaining more about the RDBMS and the managed database? How would that work for RDBMS of PgAdmin4? 

0 Kudos
AngelaVanderpas1
New Contributor II

I am also experiencing this.  Has there been a solution?

0 Kudos
aahiapple
New Contributor

Hi! I am running into this same issue. Did you manage to fix this? If so, how? 

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

This is something I have ran into as well I did run the describe datastore and everything looks super,  but the postgresql database is not wanting to validate.  My relation database, spatiotemoral, and tile cache database all validate but the one database that host all our collected field data is not validating  and I cannot find any solutions.

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

so I figured out that my issue has something to do with my postgresql version install, because I was able to switch the database back to the old version and it validated the database no issue.  I suggest if you are running postgresql server with an sde database and you get this error then you should try reverting it back to see if it will validate.