Failed to publish a map service

09-20-2016 12:41 PM
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I know this is a topic that gets discussed a lot, but I am out of ideas, so I am asking the Community for any input. I have a mxd that I am publishing out as a map service. This map service goes to a server that sits "outside" of our fire wall, that is it a service that will be viewed in apps by the public.  When I go to overwrite this existing map service and publish out, I get this error:

"Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. Error 001369: Failed to create the service." I then check the error log and messages in Acrmap and get this message. 

What happens next is what really confuses me. The service that I was trying to overwrite is gone from the server and ArcGIS Server Manager. A .sd file gets created in a folder on my local drive. If I delete this .sd file...and reopen Arcmap, I can successfully create a new service.

The path it shows is this: C:\Users\johnstl\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.2\Staging\arcgis on myservername(publisher). Here is where I see the .sd file that is named the same as my service. as soon as I delete this I can republish no problem.

I have no idea what is going on. HELP! This does not happen every time either and I have many services that I publish to the same server I have remade the mxd a dozen times.

thanks

Larisa

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Larisa,

It might be best to move this thread to ArcGIS for Server‌ for getting more visibility. 

Have you had a look at this thread?

Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. ERROR 001369: - One Solution 

It looks like there is some advice in there on what to do. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to call Esri support.

There are also some suggestions in here:

Error: Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service 

Another thread that has this issue:

https://community.esri.com/thread/163490 

but it may be more for feature services (but still has same error code)

0 Kudos
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Thank you! I was not too sure where to post this. I will move the post. Thank you for the link I had not seen this post.

Larisa

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

moved

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Publishing is a two step process.  First, it packages the map into an SD file, and any errors should come up within the Results pane.  Once it's done packaging, it tries to upload the SD file, and any errors that may happen during that process should be in the Server logs.  ArcMap may not give you the best error message during that process, (for example "failed to create the service" or "the publishing job didn't succeed").  I'd suggest you clear the logs on Server through Manager, set the logs to Debug, and try that workflow again.  Then, set the logs back to Warning and query the logs under Verbose.  If you don't see anything, switch to Debug and see if there are any errors.  The time of when it failed on the ArcMap side, (11:24:10, for example), should help you get closer to the time when an error could have appeared within the Server logs.

LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Thank you Jonathan! I did take a look at the error logs in Server Manager. I had two severe warning with this long error number, but no description. I am going to do what you suggest and try it again. I appreciate it!

Larisa

0 Kudos