Failed to connect DB - Bad login user

07-01-2012 02:35 AM
MaximSpikin
New Contributor II
1) installed:
   - pure OS - MS Server 2008R2 Sp1
   - ArcGIS for Server Workgroup Standard 10.1;   
   - ArcGIS for Desktop Standard (ArcEditor) 10.1;
   - ArcSDE Workgroup 10.1 with MS SQL Server 2008R2 Express from ArcGIS Server DVD (Windows Authentication)

2) authorizing new licenses  - all OK

3) in ArcCatalog:
   - add Database Servers
   - create a new geodatabase (see a progress indicator), but if try to connect to the geodatabase get the following message
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15633[/ATTACH]

What is wrong ????

P.S. As I understand the problem in the licensing arcSDE
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15632[/ATTACH]
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cminteer

I am having this same problem in a new Amazon instance of Server 10.1 SP1. 

The default SQL Express instance in this AMI is called "MSSQLSERVER" instead of "SQLEXPRESS." 

So, when I browse to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\' there is no MSSQL$sqlexpress.  Instead, there is a 'MSSQLSERVER' - and there is already an "ArcSDE_License" key there.

I tried the suggested workaround of generating the license information from the link provided, using a valid ECP number, then creating the "ArcSDE_License" key (I renamed the old one) and entering the info.

I still get the same error.

Is ArcGIS Desktop looking specifically for a "SQLEXPRESS" instance name and registry key?

Chad Minteer
Electronic Data Solutions
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: disuse

I am having the same problem. Tried the solution " Manually create an 'ArcSDE_License' entry as New String Value.
Modify and copy string from the ECP file."

It did not work. Still getting the same error.

I'm pretty sure all my permissions are set up ok in SQL Express.

Any other suggestions ESRI??

Thanks,
Ashlie Hildebrand

Just to be clear, you need to paste the entire line that starts with sdeworkgroup into the Registry.  Don't try to pull anything out of the line as it's looking for the entire thing.

Once I did this, I could FINALLY create databases.
0 Kudos
JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II
If you already have the software registered you want be able to get an authorization file emailed. So you need to navigate to C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen and open keycodes.txt in notepad. You'll notice after the 3rd comma it will say "none". This is the expiration date. The bug occurs when an expiration date is not specified in the keycodes which then causes the ArcSDE_License registry key to not be created.

The workaround like mentioned before is to create that registry key, open the keycodes.txt file, copy the last line COMPLETLY (the one that begins with sdeworkgroup�??) and then paste it into the newly created registry key. Refresh your registry and open up ArcCatalog.
0 Kudos