Extract Features From MapServer/ Rest/ Soap/ etc?

Jump to solution
01-15-2015 07:04 AM
JustinMeyers
New Contributor III

Is it possible to extract gis data (features, records, geometry, etc) from arcgis rest/ soap/ Mapservers? 

For example: ProxyServices/DDOTBaseMapProxy (MapServer)

can i extract the first layer

and make it a shapefile/ feature class, etc?

Thanks!

42 Replies
Gijsvan_den_Dool
New Contributor
0 Kudos
Gijsvan_den_Dool
New Contributor

Morning Jake,

Did you have any luck with the URL I provided? Perhaps my cache too small or connection is not stable enough. Would it be possible to break the dataset into smaller parts (like 1-degree tiles)? I don't know enough about the rest service to set this up, most appreciated if you could get me some pointers.

Best regards,

Gijs

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Gijs1973‌, unfortunately I did not.  I was only able to get 700,000 features downloaded.  I can't say for sure what is going on, but it could be that the service is at 10.0.  When I wrote this tool, it was at 10.1 when there was an architecture change to ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
Gijsvan_den_Dool
New Contributor

Thanks Jake,

At least we get the same number of features returned!

Do you have any (other) suggestions on how I could obtain the data from this service?

0 Kudos
Juan_JulioLiñan_rebaza
New Contributor II

Hi Jake, your tool is cool. Thank's for sharing. I've been downloading some wms, but then i found a wms server which i'm having troubles and i hope you could help me to handle it.

http://sige.inei.gob.pe/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/test/atlas/map/mapa_negocios_cp.map

I note that this url has a different structure from ArcGIS services. How can i handle this kind of wms features to download its feature data.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Is this the URL of the data you would like to download?

http://gisem.osinergmin.gob.pe/arcgis/rest/services/MINERIA/MINERIA_OE/MapServer

0 Kudos
Juan_JulioLiñan_rebaza
New Contributor II

Hi Jake, I was trying to download the features in that URL with no success, I just downloaded the tabular data.

But most important is this URL

MapServer Message

Which I cannot access using arcgis online either. 

Thank's Jake

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I get an error when trying to access that URL:

0 Kudos
Juan_JulioLiñan_rebaza
New Contributor II

Yes, Jake, I get te same error too, but that's the right URL. You can access it using JOSM as is showed here.

Mapeo calles + nombres usando sige.inei.gob.pe · Issue #1 · osm-pe/mapping · GitHub 

The WMS i'm trying to download is used for this web map application.

Sistema de Consulta de Centros Poblados 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Looks like the layer is a WMS layer, which I believe you mentioned before.  This tool will not be able to download data from a WMS layer, only ArcGIS REST services.