Error while registering Oracle database for Server 10.2

10-03-2013 11:03 AM
RickThiel
Occasional Contributor
I am getting the following error when I try to register the database on my new ArcGIS Server instance.
"The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28022[/ATTACH]

I was reading other forum posts from 10.1, and I have checked the following:
1.) Oracle 64bit and 32bit clients are installed on my server
2.) The 64bit client is listed first on the PATH system variable
3.) I created a new system variable TNS_ADMIN that points to the folder containing the tnsnames.ora file.
4.) I have stopped/started the ArcGIS Server service.
5.) I also restarted the entire server.

Other things...
6.) I am doing the database registering from a ArcCatalog desktop application also on the same server
7.) It is a virtual server.

Even after all of that, I am still getting the error. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks, --Rick
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Rick,
Since you are defining the TNS_ADMIN variable to refer to the folder where you tnsnames.ora file resides, I assume you are using the full Oracle clients.  I would double-check to make sure the 'arcgis' user account has access to that file.  This may be difficult or impossible if the tnsnames.ora file is in a folder accessed via a UNC path and the 'arcgis' user is a local account.  If this is the case, you might have to store a copy of the tnsnames file locally or change the 'arcgis' user to be a domain account.

A good way to test this is to open the command prompt as the 'arcgis' user and try to use sqlplus to connect to your Oracle database.  This should confirm if the arcgis user has access to the tnsnames.ora file.
0 Kudos