Error Opening ArcMap 10.5.1

Jump to solution
07-22-2020 01:12 PM
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure if I'm asking this question in the right place. I am having an error opening arcmap on PC's I have not previously logged into before. Image is attached showing the error messages. Other people can log onto the same PC's and arcmap will work for them. What I've tried so far:

1. deleted Normal.mxd > makes no difference. The setup/config doesn't get that far in the process when I launch arcmap.

2. renamed the folder H:\data\arcmap\ but again the setup/config doesn't get far enough in the process before erroring out. referring to this folder: 

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chris - I found an identical Support incident to your email/graphics.  The workflow to correct the error was as follows:

To resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could perform the below mentioned workarounds :

1. From the Control Panel > Programs and Features proceed to uninstall the arcgis for desktop software.
  2. Navigate to "<C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS>" and rename the "ArcGIS" folder. 
  3. C:\ program files(*86) \ common files \ ArcGIS, rename ArcGIS to ArcGIS_Old.
  4. C:\ users \ <User profile> \ AppData \ Roaming \ ESRI, rename ESRI to ESRI_Old. 
  5. Open your registry editor, HKEY_LocalMachine \ Software \ Wow6432Node \ ESRI , rename ESRI to ESRI_Old. 
  6. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI and rename the "ESRI" registry folder.
  7. C:\ users \ <User profile> \ Documents \ ArcGIS, rename ArcGIS to ArcGIS_Old
  8. Uninstall all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables from Control Panel > Programs and Features
  9. Install Visual Basic for Applications Runtime Security Update from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=19870
  10. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 from https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chris - I found an identical Support incident to your email/graphics.  The workflow to correct the error was as follows:

To resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could perform the below mentioned workarounds :

1. From the Control Panel > Programs and Features proceed to uninstall the arcgis for desktop software.
  2. Navigate to "<C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS>" and rename the "ArcGIS" folder. 
  3. C:\ program files(*86) \ common files \ ArcGIS, rename ArcGIS to ArcGIS_Old.
  4. C:\ users \ <User profile> \ AppData \ Roaming \ ESRI, rename ESRI to ESRI_Old. 
  5. Open your registry editor, HKEY_LocalMachine \ Software \ Wow6432Node \ ESRI , rename ESRI to ESRI_Old. 
  6. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI and rename the "ESRI" registry folder.
  7. C:\ users \ <User profile> \ Documents \ ArcGIS, rename ArcGIS to ArcGIS_Old
  8. Uninstall all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables from Control Panel > Programs and Features
  9. Install Visual Basic for Applications Runtime Security Update from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=19870
  10. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 from https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ChrisHolmes

Thanks for this Robert. So did the incident say to uninstall arcgis first and then do all the remaining steps? Just wondering if those folders need to be renamed before the uninstall happens. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, Step 1 mentions to uninstall ArcGIS for Desktop software which is ArcMap and ArcCatalog.  Once that is done then complete the remaining steps.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ChrisHolmes

Thanks. Fingers crossed!

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Fingers crossed here too!

0 Kudos
ChrisHolmes

After going through the steps and reinstalling arc, we seem to be back in business. 

Thanks Robert

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

That's great to hear Chris!  Glad it all worked out!  Have a nice weekend.

0 Kudos