ERROR: “ArcGIS Server Site is currently being configured by another administrative operation.

07-08-2014 02:17 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ERROR: “ArcGIS Server Site is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later.”

I got the error shown in the screenshot below

Clip_424.jpg

What might be the issue here?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
36 Replies
BEXARCOUNTY
New Contributor

Worked exactly as specified. Thanks!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I need to highlight that many errors in the ArcGIS Server requires stopping the services which really bother users for a while. Online users are shouting due to the number of times the ArcGIS Server is down. I would appreciate if this issue is fixed without the need to stop the ArcGIS Server. May be in the next releases!

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
marcostenorio
New Contributor II

thank you so much !!! this solution works very well. I've been using it for some time.

KariRandall-Secrest
New Contributor II

Hi Jamal,

Were you ever able to find out what was causing the issue and how to resolve it?

MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings all, 

I have a test environment, with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 running on a VM.  For some reason, I started getting the error which is the subject of this entry. So I followed the advice offered here and here. But to no avail.  When I checked the Task Manager, I could see my three ArcGISServer.exe running, but no ArcSOC.exe s at all.

So I then tried what Erin Brimhall gave Scott on an entry above: "... but you may be able to un-deadlock your ArcGIS Server and services by removing any .glock files in the "locks" directory in the config-store."  and sure enough, after deleting the lock files in the C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\locks directory, and restarting the ArcGISServer process, all the ArcSOC.exe started coming back to life.  After a little while, all services were running, and Server was once again usable.

Many thanks to Erin for the insight to the solution that worked for me. I much appreciate it.

Miguel
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III

Let us know if the same issue comes back.
It's not a one time occurrence for me, its a life style since 10.4 
I have found setting all services at a minimum instances of 0 helping a lot though.

0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II

It's crazy, more than 3-years now since this thread was first started and the .rlock/.glock issue continues to dog some ArcGIS Server admins.  On the positive side, I'm glad the responses captured here by myself and others are still helping the community. 

0 Kudos
xavierlhomme
Occasional Contributor

Hello

I'm using an ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 on CentOS 7.2 and having the same issus. 

In the arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\locks directory, I found file with lock.info extension.

This is the trace of the issue;

arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\locks directory

Here is an extract of the lock.info file

PID     : 22070
TRACE   : 362 : JMX server connection timeout 362
    java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
    com.sun.jmx.remote.internal.ServerCommunicatorAdmin$Timeout.run(ServerCommunicatorAdmin.java:168)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
296 : RMI TCP Connection(51)-192.168.2.176
    java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
    java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116)
    java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:171)
    java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
    java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
    java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:265)
    java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:83)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:550)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:826)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.lambda$run$0(TCPTransport.java:683)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler$$Lambda$7/264670546.run(Unknown Source)
    java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:682)
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
273 : RMI TCP Connection(33)-192.168.2.176
    java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
    com.sun.jmx.remote.internal.ArrayNotificationBuffer.fetchNotifications(ArrayNotificationBuffer.java:449)
    com.sun.jmx.remote.internal.ArrayNotificationBuffer$ShareBuffer.fetchNotifications(ArrayNotificationBuffer.java:227)
    com.sun.jmx.remote.internal.ServerNotifForwarder.fetchNotifs(ServerNotifForwarder.java:274)
    javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$4.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1270)
    javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$4.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1268)
    javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.fetchNotifications(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1276)
    sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:346)
    sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:200)
    sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:197)
    sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:196)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:568)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:826)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.lambda$run$0(TCPTransport.java:683)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler$$Lambda$7/264670546.run(Unknown Source)
271 : RMI TCP Connection(32)-192.168.2.176
    java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
    java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116)
    java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:171)
    java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
    java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:265)
    java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:83)
    sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:550)
240 : Thread-115
    sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
    java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(LockSupport.java:215)
    java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2078)
    java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.poll(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:467)
    com.esri.arcgis.discovery.logging.Logger$c.run(Logger$c.java:464)
58 : Thread-25
    sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
    java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(LockSupport.java:215)
    java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2078)
    java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.poll(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:467)
247 : Geronimo AppServer Starter
    java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:255)
    java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:286)
    java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:345)
    java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:107)
    com.esri.arcgis.discovery.util.Pipe.run(Pipe.java:44)

There is a JMX connection timeout. but it seems to be cause by the logger

My log is on a NAS. Then I change the configuration of the log to put them locally

and restart my server.

My issue has been resolved !!!

I just need to check why logging on my NAS was an issue.

Xavier Lhomme
GIS Architect / ESIRI Expert
xavierlhomme
Occasional Contributor

Note that there is ".lck" file on the logger directory.

Then I set the log on the previuos NAS directory

Stop arcgis server

Delete ".lck" file

Start arcgis server

And Bingo ! It works 

Then deleting .lock, .rlock .gloc .wlock is not enougth : you should add .lck on log directory...

Xavier Lhomme
GIS Architect / ESIRI Expert
DanielUrbach
Occasional Contributor II

Technically speaking, using a network file location for your ArcGIS Server logs is not a supported configuration.  See About specifying server log settings—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Specifically this line:

"The log path must be set to a local directory and exist on each GIS server participating in your ArcGIS Server site."

The .lck files are most likely generated by your NAS.

-Danny