ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED with Portal homepage

Jump to solution
01-13-2022 10:31 AM
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

The Environment:

I have recently upgraded from 10.9 to 10.9.1 in AWS.  I have a highly available Portal fronted by an application load balancer.  The SSL certificates are applied from AWS Certificate Manager. Windows 2019 m5a.xlarges, Portal patched.

The Question:

How can I resolve the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error that is being thrown which is preventing me from logging in successfully?

The Issue:

When I hit https://gis.mydomain.org/portal the page opens just fine and I am prompted for my login. When I login I get an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED and page cannot be reached error. After further investigation, it appears as if the request to the organization page is using HTTP.

GeoffreyWest_0-1642098199938.png

When I enter the URL into the browser again, I am successfully logged in from that previous attempt, and everything in the console looks copasetic.

GeoffreyWest_1-1642098387610.png

What I have tried:

Creating a new application load balancer, removing web application firewall in AWS, rolling back to a previous state of web servers with web adaptors, opening in incognito, flushing DNS, etc, etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyWest

I was able to resolve the issue, I still do not know the root cause of why that page is requesting HTTP.  However, to resolve it I simply added a new listener on port 80 and redirected to my HTTPS target group on the load balancer. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GeoffreyWest

I was able to resolve the issue, I still do not know the root cause of why that page is requesting HTTP.  However, to resolve it I simply added a new listener on port 80 and redirected to my HTTPS target group on the load balancer. 

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

Geoffrey,

I am experiencing this same issue after we had a reboot of all our VM's only one has had this issue, we are running ArcGIS enterprise 10.8 on this VM and if I try to go to the Portal or Portal Admin it gives me this error.  Would you be able to go through the steps you offered above to fix your problem, please?