Duplicate ESRI deployment

02-10-2023 02:25 AM
YuriiP
by
New Contributor II

Hi!

We need to duplicate our esri environment with all data available on another esri deployment for test/development purposes. Esri enterprise deployment is done using AWS CloudFormation, so we tried to create one more environment using AWS CF too. So we have such setup now:

esri.foo.bar.com (old env)

esri-test.foo.bar.com (new env)

Then, we took backup from old env using webgisdr and tried to restore it on new environment, as a result we get this error:

Failed to validate the publicPortalURL for Portal for ArcGIS. The publicPortalURL in the web GIS backup does not match the publicPortalURL in the current web GIS

I tried to manipulate /etc/hosts/ file to make webgisdr think that URL from backup is resolving to current ArcGIS deployment as it said in esri docs. But it’s not working, so I think webgisdr makes an additional check of which URL assigned to esri deployment.

So my question is - is it possible to duplicate esri data on new environment created by AWS CloudFormation using webgisdr tool? Because as I understand - all that manipulation with /etc/hosts/, aliases etc make no sense since you installed esri software.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

That’s not going to work unfortunately but I wish it did!

each item in your portal is saved as json/xml on disk, and each file hardcodes esri.foo.bar.com (old env) into that ‘item’.  Also all the configuration settings are esri.foo.bar.com.

if you try and import that into a new environment with a different url, then it would try and replace all the content to be the old environment if that makes sense.  There is no quick way to move the content from prod to test.

webgisdr is about disaster recovery.  It’s about having a cold standby that you can spin up in a different region and replay the webgisdr tool into it, with all URLs and configurations and things being identical.

Scott Tansley
Consulting Architect (ArcGIS Enterprise)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/