Does python toolbox tool validation (updateParameters method) work on ArcGIS Server?

04-11-2017 02:27 PM
KeithMiller4
New Contributor III

I've got a Python toolbox which contains a tool that performs some parameter validation via the updateParameters method (within the ToolValidator class). This method enables/disables some parameters depending on the values of others.

This all works fine when running it on ArcMap 10.4. But when I publish the tool as a geoprocessing service to ArcGIS Server 10.4 the validation no longer seems to work. i.e. When performing the same actions that trigger some parameters to become disabled (add some text to another parameter) on Desktop, these actions do nothing when running the geoprocessing service from ArcMap. No parameters are disabled.

Does anyone else have any experience of performing parameter validation for geoprocessing services on ArcGIS server? Or is able to give some suggestions as to how I can get this working?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KeithMiller4
New Contributor III

I'm still frustrated by this problem. Has anyone gained any more insights into this in the past two years?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Script tool validation requires interactions between the client and the GP task when modifying parameters. ArcMap supports this but web clients don't. If that type of validation is possible directly in the application, that's where it has to be done.

0 Kudos