Select to view content in your preferred language

Do I need ArcGIS for Server?

Jump to solution
05-12-2014 08:00 AM
MichaelThompson2
Frequent Contributor
I sent this as an email to esri support (waiting to hear back) but I thought I would also ask here to get as much input as possible. Thanks everyone!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The (hopefully brilliant) idea I have is to host my own JavaScript apps at home. I want to configure an application or two and use them as examples/demos in conjunction with my resume and host everything on a personal webserver.

My thinking is I could purchase an ArcGIS for Home Use license for map creation, publish services to ArcGIS Online, host the JavaScript, browser-based application on my home webserver and configure it to consume services from AGOL.

Is this something that would work or would I actually need ArcGIS for Server? Are there aspects I possibly don't know about/haven't thought of to make this idea work?

Also, can you tell me if it's been sorted out yet that when one pays for ArcGIS for Home Use they actually do receive an AGOL account? I remember reading last year there were some issues with that...

Thank you 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I haven't worked with BeagleBone, but if it can do php hosting, I dont see why it wouldn't be able to host a simple javascript app.

These tiny embedded PCs are great for projects like this (web hosting). With "google" and your "sysadmin" available, I think you should be quite successful. Looks like you'll even learn a little linux while you're at it.

Best of luck, I agree about how valuable hands on learning is.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RichardWatson
Deactivated User
ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server are not funcationally equivalent.  For example, you can publish image services to ArcGIS Server but not ArcGIS Online.  The list goes on.  ArcGIS Online is much more limited in what it supports.
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Frequent Contributor
ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server are not funcationally equivalent.  For example, you can publish image services to ArcGIS Server but not ArcGIS Online.  The list goes on.  ArcGIS Online is much more limited in what it supports.

Thanks for your reply rlwatson, I am aware of the limitations of ArcGIS Online but it is more than capable of handling the types of things I wish to accomplish.

That said, is there anyone who might be able to shed a bit of light on my original question?

Thanks everyone!
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

The (hopefully brilliant) idea I have is to host my own JavaScript apps at home. I want to configure an application or two and use them as examples/demos in conjunction with my resume and host everything on a personal webserver.

My thinking is I could purchase an ArcGIS for Home Use license for map creation, publish services to ArcGIS Online, host the JavaScript, browser-based application on my home webserver and configure it to consume services from AGOL.

Is this something that would work or would I actually need ArcGIS for Server? Are there aspects I possibly don't know about/haven't thought of to make this idea work?

Very briefly, you can post feature services and tiled services to ArcGIS Online. IE. serve features or cached tiles.
If what you want to serve through a webmap falls into that category, then ArcGIS Online would probably be enough.
Besides the data you want to publish to ArcGIS Online, my feeling your biggest hurdle will be your "home web server". Does your current internet provider (IP) allow you to serve HTTP requests, can you open up your router/modem/firewall to serve those requests, does your IP assign you a dynamic or static IP address (or are you purchasing a domain and referencing it to your computer). I believe you can serve web content from a personal computer through most IP's, just note that some are more complicated than others to get setup. The alternative to hosting your own app is to host it in ArcGIS.com: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/create-map-apps.htm
(apologies if you're already savvy to the whole hosting at home. I just consider it an area that most people wouldn't be familiar with. However, this point on serving content would be true for webapps, or if you installed ArcGIS Server on your home network.)

Also, can you tell me if it's been sorted out yet that when one pays for ArcGIS for Home Use they actually do receive an AGOL account? I remember reading last year there were some issues with that...

I'm not an expert, but I'd say "yes" based on this link: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-home: ArcGIS Online Named User account and 100 Service Credits
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Frequent Contributor
Very briefly, you can post feature services and tiled services to ArcGIS Online. IE. serve features or cached tiles.
If what you want to serve through a webmap falls into that category, then ArcGIS Online would probably be enough.
Besides the data you want to publish to ArcGIS Online, my feeling your biggest hurdle will be your "home web server". Does your current internet provider (IP) allow you to serve HTTP requests, can you open up your router/modem/firewall to serve those requests, does your IP assign you a dynamic or static IP address (or are you purchasing a domain and referencing it to your computer). I believe you can serve web content from a personal computer through most IP's, just note that some are more complicated than others to get setup. The alternative to hosting your own app is to host it in ArcGIS.com: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/create-map-apps.htm
(apologies if you're already savvy to the whole hosting at home. I just consider it an area that most people wouldn't be familiar with. However, this point on serving content would be true for webapps, or if you installed ArcGIS Server on your home network.)

I'm not an expert, but I'd say "yes" based on this link: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-home: ArcGIS Online Named User account and 100 Service Credits

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the info! I think that's pretty much everything I was looking for. So far the idea is to only be hosting feature services on AGOL so I am confident that part of the plan will be fine.

As far as the web server goes, no apology necessary! I am very new to all of this and had not thought about whether my IP allows its customers to serve HTTP requests. I checked with my project SysAdmin (my little brother!) and he says he's set up web servers using the same IP in the past. He also volunteered a Dell PowerEdge! If I can't get this tiny project working on my BeagleBone Black I may have to switch gears and use his big boy machine. He also says it won't be hard to configure the modem/router to allow the traffic through. And I remember him mentioning the IP address and that the easiest way would be to shell out a few bucks for a dynamic DNS service since I don't have a static IP at home. I think that covers everything. Or at least I hope the stuff it doesn't cover is not hard to set up.

The whole point of this project is to learn how to set up web servers and to host applications on them, learn how to publish GIS services to AGOL and/or an in-house ArcGIS for Server machine, and get a small app running well. Since I have all the hardware and the software is only $100 for home use I think this is a great way to gets some real education. I took a few web courses through ESRI and, honestly, the prerequisites were horribly understated and most of the classes went straight over my head. Hands-on always works for me so I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks very much!!
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I haven't worked with BeagleBone, but if it can do php hosting, I dont see why it wouldn't be able to host a simple javascript app.

These tiny embedded PCs are great for projects like this (web hosting). With "google" and your "sysadmin" available, I think you should be quite successful. Looks like you'll even learn a little linux while you're at it.

0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Frequent Contributor

I am installing a LAMP stack on the BeagleBone tonight. Once I get the app configured and loaded to the server I will post a link and maybe folks could check it out and tell me if it works for them.

Thanks much!
0 Kudos