Distributed Collaboration not Syncing Updates

01-10-2023 05:31 PM
SBerg_VHB
Occasional Contributor

Hi, any input at all would be appreciated but looking for suggestions on how to best approach a distributed collaboration (Enterprise + AGOL) which is failing to sync updates (on schedule, using the UI, or by API Sync).  The portal logs indicate sync successes without errors (shows result counts for exporting packages although suspiciously shows 0 results for import packages) but the edits are not making it in either direction (bi-directional sync).  There do not appear to be related errors in the portal logs.

The initial sync from Enterprise to AGOL worked without issue and the endpoints of course have sync enabled.

Any thoughts on how to best diagnose would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sam

7 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Sam,

What are the permissions and roles of the users in the distributed Collaboration and the AGOL users?  Thank you.

LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sam,

This issue sounded familiar.  I had a case that I opened up w/ support, but it was three years back.  It was similar in that I could set up the initial collaboration and the subsequent syncs would fail.  I was getting a return of "completed_with_failures" in my logs.

I ran through a number of test cases on my portal to troubleshoot, until we got to the point that we believed the issue may be on the AGOL side.  Then there was an AGOL update and the problem went away before we could track it down.

Anyway, the tests that I did were:

• Test collaboration with Hosted feature service (worked for me)
  • Test collaboration with new geodatabase (did not work for me)
  • Test collaboration with new geodatabase in a new collaboration (did not work for me)
  • Test collaboration with new geodatabase in a new collaboration w/ Archiving enabled (not registered as versioned (worked for me)

Hope this helps

SBerg_VHB
Occasional Contributor

@LeonS @ChadKopplin - thank for the replies.  On this one, creating an entirely new collaboration with republished services has resolved the issue. I do think there somehow was something corrupt about the underlying replicas that get generated behind the scenes although I was not able to observe any clues regarding changed permissions or mis-configuration.

0 Kudos
SBerg_VHB
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am opening this topic again because again, the edits are not rolling back from the AGOL hosted feature layer back to the PORTAL feature service.  It is a recreated brand new collaboration. The other direction works fine (edits to the AGOL hosted feature service are reflected in the PORTAL feature service after sync).  I have checked all the sync, send/receive and two way editing options on the collaboration workspaces and everything appears.  Opened a support ticket.  Will keep digging and post any results.

The environment in this case is a two way sync between PORTAL (guest) and AGOL (host).  The data in portal is branched versioned and in an eGDB.  AGOL is just a hosted feature service.

Welcome any further thoughts or comments on this.

Sam

GregCarlino2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sam,

I am also experiencing similar sync-fail difficulties with an AGOL-to-Enterprise Distributed Collaboration.  I have not resolved the main non-sync issue, though I have been able to clear at least one of the reoccurring log error items by unsharing, then resharing the layers in question.  Also, it may be worth checking to see if any of the files have 'Delete Protection' turned on.  Apparently, this can block them from getting overwritten in the receiving portal--in the case of layers and views being sent as 'Copies'--and this setting seems to be passed along with feature layers from the originating Portal, so start by checking there.

Also, one disconcerting blurb I came across in the documentation is that it doesn't matter so much what version of Enterprise you are currently using, so much as what version you were using when you first created your collaboration:  So, if you've upgraded your Enterprise since creating your collaboration (as in my case), you may unknowingly be bound to the limitations of your previous version.  I only mention this as you are using 2-way editing which is a more recent capability.

Anyway, I've opened up a ticket as well, and will be keeping an eye on this post to see if you are able to resolve the issue.

Good luck,

Greg

0 Kudos
ChadPhelan1
New Contributor

Sam did you ever get a resolution? I am seeing a similar problem, although with us, we are doing distributed collab via reference (not copy) so it is even simpler, but changes in the item details and such come over successfully on the first sync, but afterward no changes come across.

Thanks,

Chad

0 Kudos
LDreyfuss
New Contributor III

We are also experiencing a similar situation: AGOL to Portal DC set up to copy only. The copies will sync to Portal when they are first added to the Collaboration, but no edits will update after that.

I'm curious if this is still an issue for folks? I'm also curious what AGOL hive everyone is on? We are on hive 5.

0 Kudos