Select to view content in your preferred language

Different versions of Web Adapter on same machine?

Jump to solution
08-26-2024 10:18 AM
JonSwoveland
Frequent Contributor

TL;DR:  Can Web Adapter 11.3 be installed on a machine that already has ArcGIS Server & Web Adapter 10.3?

The long version:

Hi, I'm working with a client that currently has a standalone ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 & web adapter on a single machine.   I will be helping them deploy a new independent instance of ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3, but they need to keep the standalone ArcGIS Server operational until they have fully migrated to Enterprise. 

The Enterprise deployment will consist of one new machine for Server, and another for Portal / Datastore.  I'd like to install the /server and /portal web adapters to the machine hosting their 10.9.1 system, primarily to keep the same hostname without messing around with proxies and url rewrite rules.

Anybody know if there may be version incompatibilities that prevent this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes different ArcGIS Web Adaptor versions can be installed on the same machine without issue. Keep in mind the following:

• Web Adaptor 11.1 and up no longer supports Windows Server 2012
  • Review additional .NET requirements for 11.1+ Web Adaptors
  • Web Adaptor names cannot be same, even if the version is different (can't have 2 web adaptors named "arcgis" on the same machine)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes different ArcGIS Web Adaptor versions can be installed on the same machine without issue. Keep in mind the following:

• Web Adaptor 11.1 and up no longer supports Windows Server 2012
  • Review additional .NET requirements for 11.1+ Web Adaptors
  • Web Adaptor names cannot be same, even if the version is different (can't have 2 web adaptors named "arcgis" on the same machine)
JonSwoveland
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Reece!

0 Kudos
JonathanEpstein
Occasional Contributor

I'm not a high-level expert on this, but I doubt it will work as described.

I recommend adding a small host running nginx and use that to (conditionally) route traffic to both web adaptors.

0 Kudos