Determining Versioning Type of already-published map services.

Jump to solution
03-03-2023 07:29 AM
GregCarlino2
Occasional Contributor

With respect to already published Map Services, is there an easy way to tell whether it was published from a branch-versioned GDB connection vs a traditional versioned GDB connection?  I'm dealing with a mix of both services, and would like to utilize some of them in a disconnected Field Maps environment.  Clearly I need to use 'branch' for this, but if a given service wasn't published as such, is there any way to determine this at the Map Service level (ie. within Server Manager)?

Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any traditional versioned services to check against, but a branch versioned service shows this in the service JSON (emphasis added):

supportedExtensions"FeatureServer, ParcelFabricServer, ValidationServer, VersionManagementServer"

Also in Server Manager, I can see the VersionManagementServer capability checked. What does a traditional versioned service look like?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

In ArcGIS Server Manager, Service Workspaces, you will see Property "Version" for Traditional versioning, and Property "Branch" for Branch versioning.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1677861852980.png

ChrisUnderwood_1-1677861994664.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any traditional versioned services to check against, but a branch versioned service shows this in the service JSON (emphasis added):

supportedExtensions"FeatureServer, ParcelFabricServer, ValidationServer, VersionManagementServer"

Also in Server Manager, I can see the VersionManagementServer capability checked. What does a traditional versioned service look like?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
GregCarlino2
Occasional Contributor

Josh, 'VersionManagementServer' is a good indication that it's branch versioned.  That works for me, but digging further: the traditional versioned service is unchecked in Server Manager, and it looks like the JSON doesn't have a section for 'supportedExtensions'.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

In ArcGIS Server Manager, Service Workspaces, you will see Property "Version" for Traditional versioning, and Property "Branch" for Branch versioning.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1677861852980.png

ChrisUnderwood_1-1677861994664.png

GregCarlino2
Occasional Contributor

Workspace Property: 'Version' = Traditional Version Type isn't very intuitive...  but it works.  Thank you for the explanation, Chris!

0 Kudos
William
New Contributor III

@ChrisUnderwood 

I don't have a registered Branch version data store to compare against. I do have several Traditional version ones. In the Data Store item details/setting page, under the Data Store section, I see this.

William_0-1692145772989.png

Will this be another place to check? Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

The original question was about the Versioning type of map services that are already published. You are looking at the Properties of a Registered Data Store, which may or may not have been the one you used to read the data in before publishing. So I don't think those Properties will tell you about a particular service.

Stick with looking at the Service Workspaces of the service itself. You are looking for a Property called either "Version" or "Branch", note the actual value of that Property is not relevant.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1692174510173.png

0 Kudos
William
New Contributor III

Got it. Thanks @ChrisUnderwood

I should have prefaced that most of my services were published through bulk publishing; however, I will stick with the service workspaces.

0 Kudos