Select to view content in your preferred language

Datastore - cannot publish feature layers. Logs report "attempt to start tile cache data store failed"

07-13-2023 09:59 PM
MichaelBell
New Contributor III

I've got a single machine that I'm using as an ArcGIS Enterprise server (with Portal) and have a data store on the same machine. I've just installed the data store (using the standalone installer, 10.9.1 - all my server elements are 10.9.1).

In ArcGIS Pro, whenever I try to share a web layer and copy all of the contents to the server (so it can be used as a repository for data eg contours), the analyze/publish options are greyed out for anything other than a map image layer (which I don't want, I need it to be a feature layer). Also, in Portal, if I try to copy the zipped shapefile over, it simply copies the shapefile rather than giving me the option to create a HFS.

Looking into the logs, I can see this in one of the server logs:

<Msg time="2023-07-14T04:04:26,131" type="WARNING" code="110801" source="Data Store" process="13184" thread="1" methodName="" machine="MYMACHINE" user="" elapsed="" requestID="">Failed to start tile cache data store. Read from ArcGIS Data Store configuration store failed.</Msg>
<Msg time="2023-07-14T04:04:26,135" type="SEVERE" code="110306" source="Data Store" process="13184" thread="1" methodName="" machine="MYMACHINE" user="" elapsed="" requestID="">Attempt to start 'tile cache' data store failed. Read from ArcGIS Data Store configuration store failed.</Msg>

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings Michael,

Have you tried stopping/starting the DataStore process from the Windows Services console on the server hosting Enterprise? jvS6JlhkFH.jpg

Also, the message you are getting refers to the Tile Cache DS, which is not relevant when trying to publish a hosted feature layer to your Portal.

If restarting the DS process does not have any effect, try using the Data Store command utility "describedatastore". Remember to run the Command Prompt as administrator.

Also, please check the following for further troubleshooting the DS: Troubleshoot ArcGIS Data Store

Hope the above is of help.

Miguel
0 Kudos
MichaelBell
New Contributor III

Thanks Miguel. I've already tried restarting the datastore, with no avail, and looked through that topic (nothing in there that looks relevant to me).

My describedatastore output is:

MichaelBell_0-1690157468049.png

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @MichaelBell,

A different approach could be to refer "Log Codes" as per the check, I could see that error code "code="110306"" does fall under ArcGIS Data Store, screenshot below:

ArchitSrivastava_0-1689673901965.png

However as @MiguelParedes mentioned that type of service you are publishing is not relevant with the error which you are encountering.

Probably, a different approach could be to check if the ArcGIS Enterprise is configured to be able to publish the service type which you are trying. I would like to request to run a few of the following checks and we should be able to find more in regards to root cause of this. 

• Check if the federation validates by navigating to "Portal Administrator Directory"  > Federation > Servers > Select "machinename.domain.com:6443 (id: xxxxxxxxx) -hosted server" > "Validate " under Supported Operations
  • Validate ArcGIS Data Store from either "ArcGIS Server Manager" or "ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory"
  • Try creating a "Feature Layer" from Portal content pane by following the either of the steps mentioned in this document  Create from a template or existing feature layer and launch the developer tool on your browser to understand at which step the failure is occurring 

If none of the above helps to narrow down, try switching the ArcGIS Server log level to "DEBUG" (Please be aware that these are detailed logs and cause increased disk consumption. It's recommended that you don't use this level in a production environment; it may cause a decrease in performance.)

Hopefully one of these would allow you to narrow down the cause and then a feasible solution.

Hope above helps!

Archit

MichaelBell
New Contributor III

Hi Archit

Hmm... an odd one. I checked validation in the Portal Admin Directory, and in the Server Manager. All were fine.

I then decided to try to create a new Feature Layer, rather than bring in a zipped shapefile (which just published the shapefile before - it didn't create a hosted Feature Layer). However, even though I've done this quite a lot in ArcGIS Online, I couldn't find any option to create a new feature layer - or indeed anything like it! Instead, I just get the drag/drop option, URL, Application, and Data Store:

MichaelBell_1-1690160269094.png

Also, when I did add a zipped shapefile, it did not come up with an option to host it as a hosted feature layer/service:

MichaelBell_2-1690160652800.png

In terms of logs, I tried looking through the period when I added the above file and couldn't see anything.

0 Kudos
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @MichaelBell 

The describedatastore result looks good for both the Relational and TileCache DSs.

But, as @ArchitSrivastava suggested, I would strongly recommend that you check the validity of the Federation:

• Check if the federation validates by navigating to "Portal Administrator Directory"  > Federation > Servers > Select "machinename.domain.com:6443 (id: xxxxxxxxx) -hosted server" > "Validate " under Supported Operations

The interface will look as the following:
EEQF36HXUP.jpg

Clicking the Validate link will provide you with crucial information on the validity of the Federation.

Miguel