Database privilege dialog won't show with PostGres database

01-20-2015 02:44 PM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have a Postgres geodatabase that, for some reason, will not display the manage privileges on a feature dataset (wih a parcel fabric contained within) dialog via ArcCatalog.  It will display with no problem on feature classes/tables outside of the dataset however.  I am connecting with my SDE user with no luck.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RobertConrad
New Contributor II

Any chance you found a resolution to this problem. I'm having a similar problem. Thanks 

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

I have seen the same symptom (using oracle, not postgres) with feature datasets. To solve it I had to unregister/re-register as versioned. Is an option for you?

The cause may perhaps be that you added a non-versioned feature class into a versioned feature dataset. Could that be the case?

0 Kudos
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

This has just happened to our SQL Server geodatabase.

I can't manage privileges for 2 datasets, but the other three and the standalone tables are OK.  I recently added a new feature class to one of those datasets and it's versioned. The only change in the other dataset was adding default values to one feature class.  The next time I can get exclusive control and make sure that all edits are posted, I'll turn the versioning off and on again.

0 Kudos
JillHalchin

Update. I tried unversioning the dataset and wound up with a mess.  To turn off versioning, I was forced to turn off archiving and now the GDB has a bunch of history tables that preserve the changes up until that time. But it means that the archives are split, with changes before and after in different tables. I turned versioning back on and reestablished archiving.  I could open the privileges dialog again.

Now, it's happened again on the same two dataset, but the only schema change didn't involve either of the two afflicted datasets. I can open the dialog for the dataset that was changed. This never happened when the GDB was a Workgroup SDE on SQL Server Express.

I run compress, analyze and reindex on a regular basis.

0 Kudos
GaryWalter1
New Contributor II

I'm seeing this issue in a v10.3.1 SQL Server 2008 R2 database where two datasets were copied from another dbase. The Privileges dialog opens for one, but not the other. Even stranger, if I extract rather than copy the two datasets, the Privileges dialog opens for the dataset where it wouldn't open and vice versa. I'll have to go through the tedious tech support process.

0 Kudos
JillHalchin

Any progress? I'm thinking of requesting tech support, too.

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

This sounds like a known issue that we have logged in Support Services. Please contact support if you have questions about this bug specifically.

Also please see if you can successfully using the Change Privileges geoprocessing tool as a workaround instead of the right click manage > privileges context menu/dialogue.

BUG-000086223  - The feature dataset privileges dialog box does not appear after enabling a recently migrated parcel fabric with the Local Government Information Model (LGIM)

UPDATE: It is understandable that using the 'change privileges' geoprocessing tool is not a solution for viewing the existing privileges. This behavior is being investigated for a future release, so please contact support and reference the following defects to determine if you are encountering the same behavior. NIM096337 /  BUG-000086223

JillHalchin

Melissa,

Yes, the Change Privileges tools works for me and I can see settings in SQL

Server Management Studio. Looks like there are multiple situations when

this arises. I'll contact tech support.

Jill Halchin

Archeologist / GIS Coordinator

Southeast Archeological Center

National Park Service

Tallahassee FL 32310

850-580-8429

jill_halchin@nps.gov

Webpage: http://www.nps.gov/seac/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NPSSEAC

Twitter: https://twitter.com/NPSSEAC

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Yes please contact support and provide the various workflows that lead to this context menu for permissions not being available. This can be tested inhouse and added to the existing defect as additional workflows to reproduce this to help the investigation of the cause of this issue. After this is verified by our support team they will associate your customer number to the defect.

0 Kudos