Creating map cache from ecw files

04-08-2016 04:30 AM
ThomasIllingworth
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone

I am currently setting up new map caches for ArcGIS server 10.3.1. However when I tried to build a cache using an ECW file the cache builds, when I look at the results the tiles all blank and nothing has been created.

When I have been creating caches from SID files the caches have built successfully without any problems.

I have done some reading and come across a few potential different issues it could be. The one I have seen the most is an extension is needed for ArcGIS server to created a cache from it.

Has any got any suggestions as to what may be happening? As I have tried lots of different combination and the same result happens each time.

Happy to provide more details.

Many Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tom,

Can you elaborate on how your building the cache?  For example, are you publishing the ECW as a map service or image service?  Or, are you using the Manage Tile Cache tool?

Also, what format are you creating the cache in? (i.e. PNG, JPG, MIXED)

0 Kudos
ThomasIllingworth
New Contributor III

Hi Jake

I am currently publishing the ECW as a map service as it contains aerial photography which we are hoping to use as a base map.
I have tried creating the Cache in both mixed and Jpeg formats so far referring back to the existing map services we have been running in the past on server 10.2. The previous ones were built from arcsde database.

Thank you for help so far

Tom

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It looks like you will need additional licensing for ECW rasters.  I tested this and received High level warnings when analyzing the MXD.  The below information provides more info and additional workarounds:

20026: Layer is an ECW format raster—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

What we did recently to get round the ecw publishing issues was...

Create a tiling scheme appropriate for the data. Set the origins etc and use jpeg. Tool : Data Management / Tile Cache / Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme.

Then use Manage Tile Cache to generate a tile cache somewhere on your local disk.

Copy this to the server in a registered data space.

Publish (share) it as a map service, let it be managed dynamically.

Worked well.

ThomasIllingworth
New Contributor III

Hi Neil

Thank you for your reply

How were you referencing the ecw raster file when you were Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme?

I am currently referencing the ecw file through a raster catalog, I have the catalog stored in a file geodatabase.

However when I look for the input data source it can't see it. Do I need to store the ECW file in a different way for the tool to see the ECW file?

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I set up a mosaic of the ecw imagery. I guess a raster catalog would work as well.

Then set up an mxd viewing this. Previously set up a tiling scheme and also loaded that into the map scales in the mxd.

Saved the mxd, then used that as input into the manage tiling tool to create a tile cache.

The point is, that after this, you don't need the ecw anymore. The created tile cache is all in jpg. And can then be published.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would also recommend looking at mosaic datasets vs raster datasets.  They see to have many more options/features. 

Good resource to get started....

Image Management

0 Kudos
ThomasIllingworth
New Contributor III

Thanks Jake

Will have a read of it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
Shauna-RaeBrown
Occasional Contributor

The following link has step-by-step instructions for ECW imagery.  I hope this helps.

Publishing ECW Imagery with ArcGIS for Server

https://esriaustraliatechblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/publishing-ecw-imagery-with-arcgis-for-sever/