Correct Install Location for Python 3.4 with ArcGIS Pro

01-13-2017 09:07 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am trying to determine where Python 3.4 should be installed with ArcGIS Pro as the location I found it to be in seems to be incorrect as it is installed in a location for a specific user as opposed to a general location.

When I installed ArcGIS Pro 1.4 on a Windows 10 64-bit machine, Python 3.4 was installed to c:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python which does not appear correct compared to the following GeoNet thread:

https://community.esri.com/message/434467?commentID=434467#comment-434467 

In this thread it seems that Python should be installed to:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS Pro\bin

In comparison ArcGIS for Desktop installed Python to:

C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.3

Any feedback on this question is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael, Please see this help link, hopefully it'll clear up your questions: Python, conda, and ArcGIS Pro—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

In short, at 1.3/1.4 Python is handled for you with Conda.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kevin:

Your link makes me think the install is corrupt as the documentation shows it should be installed to:

c:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python

but in my original post I stated that for me python was installed to:

c:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python

Could this difference have anything to do with installing ArcGIS Pro on a virtual desktop?

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael,

I've never experienced the software installing to that directory.

I wonder if it has something to do with being an administrator (or not) or maybe a installing for a user vs. installing for all users? See the first note here about a reg key for "per user" : Download and install—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can also check out /blogs/dan_patterson/2016/07/17/anaconda-spyder-and-arcgis-pro ... I cover the installation of Spyder for your IDE as well if you aren't using one specifically and intend to do a lot of programming

0 Kudos